Smoothing Ganache????

Decorating By adree313 Updated 20 Aug 2009 , 8:01pm by adree313

adree313 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
adree313 Posted 18 Aug 2009 , 12:19am
post #1 of 8

it doesn't matter what i do, how many different size spatulas i use, what angle i hold my bench scraper at... i can not for the life of me get my ganache perfectly smooth! icon_cry.gif i know with buttercream you can use the viva method, but not so for ganache! it'll just melt. any suggestions?? (oh, and it also doesn't matter what temperature my spatulas are at ((dipped in warm water)) still doesn't work) here's a couple pictures to show you my issues.

the one with the vertical lines: i get this either when i have to stop spinning my turntable to readjust my hand (faulty turn table? not enough turn in my table?? idk) or when i finally get it smoothed out and then i have to slide away the spatula (NOT lift, i know better icon_rolleyes.gif ) how do i avoid this??

the other one: i can't even explain that one. maybe my cakes come out tapered because of my cheapo wilton pans so my spatula doesn't even out my icing enough? that's not a good explaination, but i can't really word what i'm thinking... ugh. anyway...

whatever you think may be my problem/how i can fix it... please let me know!! thanks!
LL
LL

7 replies
dsilbern Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
dsilbern Posted 18 Aug 2009 , 12:39am
post #2 of 8

I've made chocolate cakes with ganache coating. The Bon Appetit recipe I use has me do this: put the cake on a cooling rack and pour just enough ganache over the cake to spread a thin layer all over it - kind of like a crumb coat - and put it in the fridge to set up. After the thin coat sets up, pour the rest of the ganache over the top letting it run down the cake and smooth is a bit with a spatula as needed to be sure its even but let gravity do most of the work. The surplus will run thru the rack. Put the cake right into the fridge (or freezer) to set up. The coating was very smooth.

sugarandslice Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
sugarandslice Posted 18 Aug 2009 , 12:59am
post #3 of 8

When I've done it, I've made the ganache the consistency of soft peanut butter, got it on as smoothly as possible (looked like yours) then let it set overnight till it's quite hard (didn't need to put it in fridge but you could if you wanted it done quickly). Then I used my very long spatula dipped in boiling water and pulled it (holding both ends) across the top of the cake. If I found there were dips in the ganache I filled them up and went over the top again. Same with the sides but I used a bench-scraper dipped in boiling water and used my turntable.
Overall, it's much easier to get it smooth if it's fully set.
HTH icon_smile.gif

adree313 Posted 20 Aug 2009 , 6:46pm
post #4 of 8

i haven't tried actually pouring the ganache before because i like a thicker coating of it. so, working with it after it's completely set with a warm spatula seems the way to go. thank you icon_smile.gif

any other advice?

icer101 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
icer101 Posted 20 Aug 2009 , 6:54pm
post #5 of 8

sharon zambito .. has a great dvd on this .. it is her topsy turvy one.. i haven,t tried it. just keep watching it.. all of her dvd's are great... i hope you will check on her site.. sharonssugarshack.com

Williamus Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Williamus Posted 20 Aug 2009 , 7:00pm
post #6 of 8

Other advice? I always have my 2 cents to add. LOL. I personally don't like the taste of fondant, so I have gotten very good at icing cakes with ganache and butter cream and making them smooth. Do you have a turn table? For a smooth ganache finish I spread the ganache on the cake, then with a warm spatula against the side of the cake I turn the turntable, holding the spatula steady. Then I place the spatula on the top of the cake, with the end of the spatula in the middle of the cake and turn it. Then I clean up the edge. I then refregerate the cake until the ganache is firm. I then pour a second layer of ganache over the firm layer that I did with the turn table. I get the thickness you are looking for and the flawless finish of a poured ganache glaze.

cupcakemkr Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
cupcakemkr Posted 20 Aug 2009 , 7:01pm
post #7 of 8

what kind of bench scraper do you have - like Sugarshacks? See here http://www.sugaredproductions.com/Decorating_Supplies.php

If so rest your scraper so that the circle on the end is flat on your cake board. this will give you a nice straight side.

take your hot bench scraper and hold it straight up and down at a 45 degree angle from the cake - spin the turn table aroundall the way without stopping, even if you have to wrap you free hand all the way around the back of the cake. just spin in one complete circle.

do your top as described above, then the side of the cake

pouring the fondant on will do nothing for you if your cake is not smoothed perfectly first.

good luck!

adree313 Posted 20 Aug 2009 , 8:01pm
post #8 of 8

no, my bench scraper has a handle that goes out past the width of the blade. that causes a lot of issues for me, so i think i should get the one that's even all the way around. i like the idea of smoothing it on for the thick layer and then pouring more over for a smoother finish. i do have a turn table, but my issue is i always stop mid turn to adjust my hand, but i think doing the complete circle will fix a lot of my problems. thank you for all the tips! i have to do another cake soon so i'll put them all to the test icon_smile.gif

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%