Cupcakes Too Small!?!?

Baking By Cakeonista Updated 22 Aug 2009 , 7:56pm by maryjsgirl

Cakeonista Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Cakeonista Posted 17 Aug 2009 , 11:24pm
post #1 of 12

Hi everyone,
Im hoping you can give me your input, Im a little confused about now. I don't make many cupcakes for people but recently have been asked to make some for a party. The other day I made a batch just for my family to enjoy and after my husband saw them he said that they were to small to make for clients and that they should be bigger! I made regular cupcakes in my normal tins. So today I went out and bought new jumbo tins and liners but am wondering is this right??? The tins are huge and for a little child's party they seem too big. Does anyone know the correct size cupcakes that are being used today at weddings, engagements and such? Thanks for any input.
Mary

11 replies
CakeMakar Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
CakeMakar Posted 17 Aug 2009 , 11:36pm
post #2 of 12

Nope, even when I got into bakeries it's the same size I make in my kitchen--Your standard pan & liners.
If you're going to go with the jumbo size you need to adjust your price accordingly.

reenie Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
reenie Posted 17 Aug 2009 , 11:37pm
post #3 of 12

I've always used the standard cupcake tin for mine. I measure the batter using an ice cream scoop. I've never had anyone say they were too small. I think your hubby just wanted more cake icon_biggrin.gif

mysonbronson Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
mysonbronson Posted 17 Aug 2009 , 11:38pm
post #4 of 12

I live in Hawaii and we still use the regular size cupcake which I think has 12 in a pan. I hope that helps. I think the jumbo ones would be just to big with alot of waste for a child's party.

kjjs Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
kjjs Posted 17 Aug 2009 , 11:41pm
post #5 of 12

Maybe your husband just wants a "MAN SIZED CUPCAKE"!! icon_biggrin.gif In my opinion, standard cupcake pans and paper liners are just that... standard. Unless your client specificly requests jumbo sized cupcakes (or mini cupcakes for that matter) standard are the way to go. I just did 2 childrens birthday parties with standard cupcakes.HTH icon_biggrin.gif

Cakeonista Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Cakeonista Posted 18 Aug 2009 , 1:42am
post #6 of 12

Thank you so much everyone! I now feel much more at ease. I should know better than to listen to my husband about baking matters. lol

cylstrial Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
cylstrial Posted 18 Aug 2009 , 1:44am
post #7 of 12

You could offer mini's at such and such a price. Then regular at this price and then jumbo at this price. That way they have lots of options!

It's like Burger King when they want to know if you want to Biggie size your meal (or is that Wendy's slogan?) But anyway, you see what I mean.

ZlatkaT Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
ZlatkaT Posted 18 Aug 2009 , 2:03pm
post #8 of 12

Sorry to hijack this post, but I was too wondering, are we talking here baking in regular "Muffin pans"? Or are there any pans for cupcakes?

cylstrial Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
cylstrial Posted 19 Aug 2009 , 12:10am
post #9 of 12
Quote:
Originally Posted by ZlatkaT

Sorry to hijack this post, but I was too wondering, are we talking here baking in regular "Muffin pans"? Or are there any pans for cupcakes?

The regular muffin and cupcake pan is the same!

Williamus Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Williamus Posted 20 Aug 2009 , 10:02pm
post #10 of 12

The "standard" cup cake pan isn't really standard. They vary in size from a 3 oz capacity to a 4 oz capacity. I recently bought new pans (Wilton) and when I got them home I compared them to the Chicago Metallic ones that I had (much more expensive) and lo and behold, the wilton ones were smaller...I returned the pan. The difference is significant.

teenycakes Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
teenycakes Posted 21 Aug 2009 , 9:06pm
post #11 of 12

Mariu,

I'm just wondering if your husband didn't like the size because of a performance issue with the recipe. I have researched recipes for the past two years and discovered that when I make cupcakes, I want them to puff up and dome so that they don't look so tiny. I have recipes that I specifically use for cupcakes and recipes I use just for cakes. A few of the recipes are interchangeable. All of my recipes are from scratch. Were you baking from scratch, or from a mix? Most mixes dome beautifully due to all the leaveners. I rarely use mixes though, no one wants the chemicals.

Teenycakes

maryjsgirl Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
maryjsgirl Posted 22 Aug 2009 , 7:56pm
post #12 of 12

I bought some bulk liners from GFS and they were smaller than the liners I normally buy at Walmart. I always thought cupcake liner sizes were kind of universal, but I guess not.

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%