Do I Have To Use Pound Cake For A Carved Cake?

Decorating By mistymamas Updated 18 Aug 2009 , 5:21am by madgeowens

mistymamas Posted 17 Aug 2009 , 8:39pm
post #1 of 14

I wanted to make an airplane cake (wings made out of foam and fondant), so the body of the plane will be the only part made from cake. Do I have to use pound cake or can I go ahead and use a regular cake mix?

13 replies
meenu Posted 17 Aug 2009 , 8:49pm
post #2 of 14

I just finished a carved cake made out of Betty Crocker Carrot Cake mix. Just make sure that your cake is chilled before you carve it. Good luck with your airplane cake.

Price Posted 17 Aug 2009 , 8:50pm
post #3 of 14

I haven't carved alot of cakes, but when I did my Shoe, I used the WASC recipe and it worked fine. Just freeze your cake before carving.

miss_sweetstory Posted 17 Aug 2009 , 9:03pm
post #4 of 14

Your going to want to enhance the cake mix, not use it exactly according to package instructions. I have been really pleased with the way the "Durable Cake for 3D" recipes (in CC recipe section) work. The chilling makes them even better and easier to work with.

Rylan Posted 17 Aug 2009 , 9:15pm
post #5 of 14

Although pound cakes are usually used and great for carving, you can also use types of cakes. As long as it is sturdy then it will be ok. Just like suggested, freezing before carving also helps.

Melchas Posted 17 Aug 2009 , 9:35pm
post #6 of 14

I use a doctored box mix for carving. I have done two planes so far and the cakes carved easily. I also discoverd with the second one that if you carve the basic shpe, them freeze it, it's a lot easier to carve the details.

Melchas Posted 17 Aug 2009 , 9:39pm
post #7 of 14

I use a doctored box mix for carving. I have done two planes so far and the cakes carved easily. I also discoverd with the second one that if you carve the basic shpe, them freeze it, it's a lot easier to carve the details.

melodyscakes Posted 17 Aug 2009 , 10:52pm
post #8 of 14

I carved a beautiful cake lately that was amazing looking. I used regular box mix. the customer said the cake crumbled when they went to cut it. I covered it in butter cream then fondant. I think the weight was too much for it. I've switched to pound cake only for sculpted cakes.
will try the recipe mentioned above though.

good luck!

melody

JCE62108 Posted 17 Aug 2009 , 10:56pm
post #9 of 14

Ive never used pound cake. Certain cake recipes tend to be soft and crumble easily. If your using one of those recipes, torte and fill your layers, freeze it, carve it, and make sure its supported well if needed (dowels, etc). I always freeze my cakes before carving.

melodyscakes Posted 17 Aug 2009 , 10:57pm
post #10 of 14

I carved a beautiful cake lately that was amazing looking. I used regular box mix. the customer said the cake crumbled when they went to cut it. I covered it in butter cream then fondant. I think the weight was too much for it. I've switched to pound cake only for sculpted cakes.
will try the recipe mentioned above though.

good luck!

melody

Cake_Princess Posted 18 Aug 2009 , 3:49am
post #11 of 14
Quote:
Originally Posted by mistymamas

I wanted to make an airplane cake (wings made out of foam and fondant), so the body of the plane will be the only part made from cake. Do I have to use pound cake or can I go ahead and use a regular cake mix?

Denser cakes tend to be best for carving. If you are going to use a cake mix I would recommend chilling the cake first not freezing as it will make it tougher to carve. Use a sharp knife to carve.

madgeowens Posted 18 Aug 2009 , 3:55am
post #12 of 14

I use cake extender recipe and then chill the cake to carve it

AnythingBaked Posted 18 Aug 2009 , 4:38am
post #13 of 14

Hi,

I don't think that you need to use pound cake. I think that all you need to do is to refrigerate the cake.

Check out my friends car cake or her T-Rex that she did in December 2008. I am pretty sure that she did not use pound cake for the T-Rex.

http://www.wanghwa.blogspot.com/

madgeowens Posted 18 Aug 2009 , 5:21am
post #14 of 14

Your friend has some gorgeous cakes.

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%