Grease Trap!! Arghh! (? About Opening New Shop)

Business By Lisa540 Updated 18 Aug 2009 , 5:48am by littlecake

Lisa540 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Lisa540 Posted 17 Aug 2009 , 8:37pm
post #1 of 8

I need some advice. I am looking at opening a shop. I have the location but it has not had a commercial kitchen in it before. I contacted our city hall/code enforcement office. (keep in mind that this is small town, 25,000, thats run on a even smaller town attitude) They don't have a clue. They don't even have a book I can look at. So I called the 3rd party office that does the inspections for this city. Spoke with a really nice guy that said yes I do need one (knew this) but that I could put in one under the sink. I am only going to be draining the 3 compartment sink, no floor drains or anything. Now I googled purchasing these things and they are pretty cheap (like $400!!). It seems like it's all too good to be true. THoughts??

7 replies
indydebi Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
indydebi Posted 17 Aug 2009 , 9:04pm
post #2 of 8

The plumber charged me $350 to install it, so be sure you factor that in. I also do catering and I was able to get a small under-the-sink one, too.

I think it's only big restaurants that need an underground one outside that costs like $15,000 .... for what we do, the under-sink works fine.

Lisa540 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Lisa540 Posted 17 Aug 2009 , 9:46pm
post #3 of 8
Quote:
Originally Posted by indydebi

The plumber charged me $350 to install it, so be sure you factor that in. I also do catering and I was able to get a small under-the-sink one, too.

I think it's only big restaurants that need an underground one outside that costs like $15,000 .... for what we do, the under-sink works fine.

Thank you thank you thank you!! I was quoted a price of $8,000!! Then I found out about the ones you put under the sink. I was so worried that it was too good to be true! I am soooo relieved!!

CakeForte Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
CakeForte Posted 17 Aug 2009 , 11:16pm
post #4 of 8

The grease trap depends on your local waste water rules and regulations. I have to get an inground, even though an under counter one is more suited to my needs.

indydebi Posted 17 Aug 2009 , 11:25pm
post #5 of 8
Quote:
Originally Posted by CakeForte

The grease trap depends on your local waste water rules and regulations. I have to get an inground, even though an under counter one is more suited to my needs.

Ah man! That is just WRONG! icon_eek.gif

CakeForte Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
CakeForte Posted 17 Aug 2009 , 11:37pm
post #6 of 8

Giiiiirl......tell me about it. My rent is SUPER cheap though...so it's a question of...move two blocks north to be out of the city limits...but pay four times in rent...or stay with the place that is super cheap, on a busy road...and "invest" in a grease trap...that the city takes ownership of and won't even be mine! LOL

indydebi Posted 17 Aug 2009 , 11:48pm
post #7 of 8
Quote:
Originally Posted by CakeForte

...that the city takes ownership of and won't even be mine! LOL

Oh now THAT'S just gotta pi$$ ya off! icon_cry.gif

littlecake Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
littlecake Posted 18 Aug 2009 , 5:48am
post #8 of 8

i was kinda scared i was gonna have to get an inground too...but the under the sink one was ok....the plumber made me one for about 500.00 installed.

cheap rent rox!....it'll be worth it in the end, geeze i hope it's not 8K though!!!!seems like a lot of the cost of some of these plumbing things are digging the hole, wonder if you could get a better deal if you dig the hole?...i saved like 3K digging a big long ditch myself.

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%