Gourmet Food Packaging

Decorating By mellee Updated 19 Aug 2009 , 5:20pm by mellee

mellee Posted 17 Aug 2009 , 7:56pm
post #1 of 11

Hi there. I was wondering if any of you ladies could help me. I am in serious need of gourmet food packaging ideas. I need things that are pretty, classy-looking, and reasonably priced that will make my food look outstanding.

What I mean is this: Jane and Ann both sell excellent chocolate chip cookies. Everyone says they're delicious. Jane wraps her individual cookie orders (like a package of three cookies) in saran wrap. Ann places hers in a colored cellophane bag with a ribbon on it or in a small gold gift box. She uses a sassy label and lots of bling. They both sell to upscale delis as well as to individuals. Ann sells three times as many cookies as Jane, even though she charges 50% to 100% more than Jane and even though Jane's cookies are just as good. Why? Because people love a pretty-looking product.

That's what I'm looking for: Packaging ideas. Cellophanes, bows, ribbons, tiny boxes, crinkled paper cups, anything unusual or with bling, etc. All geared toward one to two servings of cookies, brownies, scones, candies, fudge, petit fours, etc.

Any ideas would be GREATLY appreciated! Thank you! icon_smile.gif

10 replies
reenie Posted 17 Aug 2009 , 11:16pm
post #2 of 11

I think an inexpensive little box (from oriental trading or something like it) with a nice satin ribbon around it would be fantastic.

-Tubbs Posted 17 Aug 2009 , 11:32pm
post #3 of 11

My sister just came back from vacation with a little package for me: blueberry muffin mix in a fabric bag (blueberry print) tied with a purple ribbon. The mix was yucky, but the presentation was beautiful!

Crinkly cello wrap is always great, especially with a proper ribbon (not curling ribbon). Hey, what about getting your own ribbon printed? Not that expensive...

Chinese takeout boxes are also nice - although clear is better - people like to see what they're getting.

cylstrial Posted 18 Aug 2009 , 1:16am
post #4 of 11

www.nashvillewraps.com has lots of good cellophane, ribbon, boxes, etc. You should check them out.

sheshe09 Posted 18 Aug 2009 , 1:32am
post #5 of 11

Yes go with Nashville I used them for years they have nice products. Also, when I was reading forum I thought I was back in school doing a math problem. I got scared for a min. icon_smile.gificon_eek.gif

cylstrial Posted 18 Aug 2009 , 12:44pm
post #6 of 11
Originally Posted by sheshe09

Yes go with Nashville I used them for years they have nice products. Also, when I was reading forum I thought I was back in school doing a math problem. I got scared for a min. icon_smile.gificon_eek.gif

LOL! The situation did sound like a math problem would sound. icon_lol.gif

ibmoser Posted 18 Aug 2009 , 2:44pm
post #7 of 11

Also check out

for some packaging options

PinkZiab Posted 18 Aug 2009 , 3:01pm
post #8 of 11

I second nashville wraps... they have a lot of cute packaging options.

mellee Posted 19 Aug 2009 , 3:11am
post #9 of 11

Thanks so much! I will check out nashville wraps. I'm excited to see what I can come up with! I want something pretty, interesting, memorable, and icon_smile.gif yeah, not too expensive. I'm a firm believer in proper marketing. Of course, a good product helps as well, and I'd like to have both! I think I've got the good product(s).......now on to the marketing! If anyone else has anymore ideas, I'm OPEN. Thank you all!

indydebi Posted 19 Aug 2009 , 3:28am
post #10 of 11

HEre's a few I have in my file. It's been awhile since I ordered from them, but just adding them to the list for you to check out.

mellee Posted 19 Aug 2009 , 5:20pm
post #11 of 11

Thanks for the sites, Indy. I checked them out, and I also had a chance to check out that nashville one. They're all GREAT sites.

I've been doing a bit of research on this now, and while the packaging was easy enough to find with the help of you ladies, the ideas on HOW to package, well, they need some prodding for a person like me. icon_biggrin.gif

I found this site here: http://www.giftingresources.com/gifts/giftwrappacktips.aspx?gift=69 It's for gift packing tips and pretty ideas. It's not all about food, but some of the ideas could be converted.

Here are more edible gift ideas and packaging: http://baking.about.com/od/giftideas/tp/packaging.htm Even though I'm not thinking of gifts per se, I believe having my products LOOK like gifts can only help in terms of sales.

This place has tons of links to different gourmet packaging companies: http://www.fgmarket.com/Gourmet-Foods/Packaging---Labels/

Amazon sells a book on packaging ideas: http://www.amazon.com/dp/1592533531/?tag=cakecentral-20 Has anyone read this? If so, what did you think? Do you think it would be worth it for me to buy it?

Here was a discussion of cookie packaging on another forum. Pretty pics: http://www.soompi.com/forums/index.php?showtopic=264722

I hope these sites help anyone else who is interested in gourmet packaging of their products. If anyone has anymore ideas, please share! Thank you! icon_smile.gif

Quote by @%username% on %date%