How Do I Store Cakes With Fillings Such As...

Decorating By not_a_desperate_housewife Updated 18 Aug 2009 , 12:50am by leah_s

not_a_desperate_housewife Posted 17 Aug 2009 , 7:18pm
post #1 of 7

I'm looking to make a cake for my friend's bridal shower (this Saturday). I wanted to get creative and use some type of mousse filling for one of the tiers, and I plan on covering the cake in fondant.

Through the boards here, I've learned that fondant covered cakes should not be refridgerated. Thus, my question is this: can I leave a cake with, let's say, chocolate mousse filling out of the fridge? And if so, for how long? The cake has to make a three hour trip on Friday -- I'd like to be done with the cake late Thursday -- and it will not be eaten until Saturday.

Thoughts anyone? Also, if an unrefridgerated mousse cake is not a good idea, what types of filling (besides fruit) could you recommend?

Thanks!

6 replies
carmenid Posted 17 Aug 2009 , 7:29pm
post #2 of 7

I have refrigerated fondant cakes with perishable fillings before, never had a problem with condensation or the like. I hear that if you do get condensation to just let it dry once it is out of the fridge. Hope that helps, I wouldn't worry about refrigerating your cake.

Musings9 Posted 17 Aug 2009 , 7:51pm
post #3 of 7

I refrigerate my fondant and b/c covered cakes. As long as you take it out at least an hour in advance, the condensation will dry. You could also dry itusing a small electric fan or sit it underneath a ceiling fan.
I've found that cold cakes travel better and I'm always leary of leaving a cake sitting out for an extended period of time.

Rylan Posted 17 Aug 2009 , 9:27pm
post #4 of 7

I also refrigerate all my cakes with no problems. I never had any issues with condensation.

Rylan Posted 17 Aug 2009 , 9:31pm
post #5 of 7

I also refrigerate all my cakes with no problems. I never had any issues with condensation.

beachcakes Posted 18 Aug 2009 , 12:11am
post #6 of 7

I've had condensation issues with fondant when humidity is high. If you leave it out of the fridge, it will eventually evaporate, just don't touch it. It seems i have the most issues with MMF.

leah_s Posted 18 Aug 2009 , 12:50am
post #7 of 7

I think you guys may have missed the three hour transport.

If the filling truly has to be refrigerated, you will only have one hour of food safety left to eat the cake. Then throw it out.

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%