Newbie Here! A Few Questions About Beginner Equipment

Decorating By Kaychell Updated 1 Jun 2010 , 5:58pm by tastyart

Kaychell Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Kaychell Posted 17 Aug 2009 , 7:07pm
post #1 of 13

Hello all! I'm new to cake decorating. I've made only 3 or 4 small cakes. I was wondering what the "must have" eqiupment is for a beginner doing recreational baking for now. I have signed up for a cake decorating class at the local vo-tech that starts next month, but I've been doing some practicing on my own with the help of this site! It's SO addictive!!!

12 replies
alidpayne Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
alidpayne Posted 17 Aug 2009 , 7:11pm
post #2 of 13

are you more interested in doing fondant or buttercream decorating? It will make a huge difference in what we suggest.

Kaychell Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Kaychell Posted 17 Aug 2009 , 7:17pm
post #3 of 13

Both, actually. I would like to get a good handle on both the buttercream and fondant. I'm having a much harder time with my buttercream than working with the fondant.

Kiddiekakes Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Kiddiekakes Posted 17 Aug 2009 , 7:41pm
post #4 of 13

Hmm.let's see...

Good bags,tips
spatulas
pans...I like the rounds and squares...
coloring sets..I recommend Americolor..Wilton are too hard to handle.

lillermom Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
lillermom Posted 17 Aug 2009 , 9:06pm
post #5 of 13

my favorite products/items to have are:

Bake easy spray for my cake pans
angled icing knife
metal straight edge plaster blade (helps make buttercream super smooth!)
viva papertowels
good quality tips
pastry bags
tip brush cleaner

HAve fun!

Darthburn Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Darthburn Posted 17 Aug 2009 , 9:18pm
post #6 of 13

A cake turntable to spin the cake around while you work on it. OMG it took me 3 years to get one and now I wish I'd have bought it first!

GL79 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
GL79 Posted 17 Aug 2009 , 9:22pm
post #7 of 13

Hello I'm knew to cake decorating also,
What I find useful is the disposible pastry bags
Flower nails-of course to make flowers, but to also use as a heat core
Wax paper
Cake Release

Price Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Price Posted 17 Aug 2009 , 9:22pm
post #8 of 13

If you are going to be taking a beginner level course at vo-tech. they have probably already given you a list of the tools you will need for that class. I'm sure they will start by showing you how to level a cake, crumb coat and ice. Then they will probably start you with some drop flowers and roses. For that you will need a spatula, some decorating tips, (star, rose), couplers, icing bags,

For fondant to get started it's good to have a small roller, various shapes of fondant cutters, exacto knife, ruler or good straight edge, small brush, from there if you really get into it I would suggest, a silicone mat, sugar gun, impression mats, molds, crimpers and so much, much more! Believe me the list is endless!

Have fun!
Jean

tatorchip Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
tatorchip Posted 18 Aug 2009 , 3:22am
post #9 of 13

one word "EDNA" she has the best you tube turtorals I am new and learned alot from her, and all the others on cc but she has so many ideas that makes my life easier. Everyone on cc is great and very helpful.

Darthburn Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Darthburn Posted 1 Jun 2010 , 4:19pm
post #10 of 13

I was looking through my old posts / replies and saw this topic. Thought I would give it a bump for people new to the board, but I also wanted to ad something.

The other day I went ahead and bought the Wilton big icing tip that goes with 16" bags so you can (as Buddy calls it) "dirty ice" a cake. It was like $2 and the bags weren't all that much either.

OMG! I wish I would have bought that 3 years ago!! I did 7 cakes (12" to 6") in a matter of minutes. No more trying to scoop the icing onto the cake and hold it there and scrape it around... just squeeze and spin.

icon_biggrin.gif

BeanCountingBaker Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
BeanCountingBaker Posted 1 Jun 2010 , 5:11pm
post #11 of 13

2 words. . .

Melvira Roller

Enough said!

sberryp Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
sberryp Posted 1 Jun 2010 , 5:39pm
post #12 of 13

I am new to baking and it really depends on what type of cakes you want to work with and how often you make cakes. I went out and tried to buy everything, while I do use all of my proucts, I really did not need all of them. Hope that you understand this. Things that I could not do without are...
turntable (for icing cakes)
icing spatula
tips
bags
dowels/bubble tea straws
fondant roller

tastyart Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
tastyart Posted 1 Jun 2010 , 5:58pm
post #13 of 13

I use my cake leveler, turntable, scraper, off-set spatula, and mixer on every cake I make.

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%