Brands/types Of Food Coloring

Decorating By grandmom Updated 18 Aug 2009 , 8:45pm by tiggy2

grandmom Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
grandmom Posted 17 Aug 2009 , 6:41pm
post #1 of 5

I've searched the forums and read several topics on food coloring. Seems like most of you hate Wilton, most love Americolor and some prefer Chefmaster. Those who liked Chefmaster mentioned that the reason was because they don't have to wait for the color to intensify - what you see is what you get, I presume... which leads to one of my questions:

How long do you have to wait with Americolor to see the real color, and do you have to wait with all colors or just the really dark ones? How do you know when the color is "final"?

For those who prefer Chefmaster, do you use the liquid or the gel? I see both for sale on decorating supply websites.

Thanks!

4 replies
cylstrial Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
cylstrial Posted 18 Aug 2009 , 1:39am
post #2 of 5

I have never used Chefmaster, but you don't have to wait long for Americolor. I know within a minute or so if I need to add more color. Good luck!

tiggy2 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
tiggy2 Posted 18 Aug 2009 , 8:28pm
post #3 of 5

I use chefmaster liqua gel and I LOVE it! I get true color immediately and I use a lot less then I would any other brand.

Musings9 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Musings9 Posted 18 Aug 2009 , 8:37pm
post #4 of 5

I usually get pretty true coloring with Americolor immediately. However, as a rule, I let the color develop overnight to be on the safe side.

tiggy2 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
tiggy2 Posted 18 Aug 2009 , 8:45pm
post #5 of 5

I've never gotten true red immediately with americolor. It's always had to sit for awhile.

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%