Drum Cake

Decorating By PJ0207 Updated 18 Aug 2009 , 12:16am by PJ0207

PJ0207 Posted 17 Aug 2009 , 6:27pm
post #1 of 7

Hi, i will be making a snare drum cake for a birthday party......and i was wondering how could i achieve that shiny finish that the side of the drum has? Also what is the best way to hand paint on a cake covered in fondant?

6 replies
NatalieMarie Posted 17 Aug 2009 , 7:15pm
post #2 of 7

I would use either confectioners glaze or jam diluted with boiling water (strain to remove any lumps)

The most effective way I have found of painting a cake is to mix dust colour with a clear alcohol such as vodka. You can buy rejuvenator spirit which is basically a special alcohol specifically for this, but I think it tastes absolutely disgusting.

msulli10 Posted 17 Aug 2009 , 7:33pm
post #3 of 7

I have made a couple of drums (see my photos). I bought silver glaze food coloring and also gold food coloring from Americolor. I believe it was the airbrushing one. I just painted it right on the fondant .I don't have an airbrush and you don't have to dilute this stuff with anything. I put a couple of coats on and it was fairly shiny.

2SchnauzerLady Posted 17 Aug 2009 , 7:50pm
post #4 of 7

I've seen on cake shows where they use steam (like a clothes steamer) to make the fondant shiney.

PJ0207 Posted 17 Aug 2009 , 8:30pm
post #5 of 7

thanks i'll see what works, and msulli10 i saw the drums and i am making one similiar to the red drums.....i was wondering how did you make the wood grain for the sticks and on the tan/woodgrain drum?

msulli10 Posted 17 Aug 2009 , 8:59pm
post #6 of 7

I just marbeled the fondant. I made the wood color and then added some brown and just pulled on it so it looked like it had a wood grain effect. Don't over work it or else it will just blend in completely. Good luck.

PJ0207 Posted 18 Aug 2009 , 12:16am
post #7 of 7

thanks...i'll see how it turns out!

Quote by @%username% on %date%