Need Help For Wedding Cake This Weekend

Decorating By pumpkinroses Updated 17 Aug 2009 , 9:56pm by pumpkinroses

pumpkinroses Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
pumpkinroses Posted 17 Aug 2009 , 5:33pm
post #1 of 6

I have my first wedding cake saturday. It's a 3 tier stacked square cake, 10, 8, and 6" using the SPS for support. It will be covered in chocolate fondant. The bride gave me her topper last week that's about 5" around and ceramic.

How do I attach it to the topper to the top of the cake? I'm afraid of it falling off if it's just sitting on top.

Thanks
Nikki

5 replies
KimAZ Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
KimAZ Posted 17 Aug 2009 , 5:59pm
post #2 of 6

Hi,
When I put anything on top of cakes, I just put a small piece of wax paper ( or parchment) cut to the size of the topper directly on the cake so the actual topper doesn't touch the cake. If it's something quite heavy, just use some support dowels or straws so it won't sink in. I wouldn't transport a cake with a topper on, just wait to set it on top until the cake is on it's display table.

Good luck!
KimAZ

pumpkinroses Posted 17 Aug 2009 , 6:55pm
post #3 of 6

Thanks KimAZ, I never thought of that part of it. So if the cake is level and sturdy the topper should be sturdy as well? I would hate to have it fall of the cake and break.

Sorry for all the questions, I'm starting to get nervous.
Thanks again
Nikki

Mug-a-Bug Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Mug-a-Bug Posted 17 Aug 2009 , 9:28pm
post #4 of 6

Treat it as another teir; meaning dowels and some sort of "separator" (either wax paper or cardboard, or a separator plate. I would wait until it is in it's final location to place the topper. Good luck.

Rylan Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Rylan Posted 17 Aug 2009 , 9:29pm
post #5 of 6

Like suggested, just add some dowels just to make sure. If the topper is hollow with a hole in the center, extend the dowel longer.

pumpkinroses Posted 17 Aug 2009 , 9:56pm
post #6 of 6

Thanks for the great tips.

I hope all goes well because this bride has been through way to much. Her father just passed away from cancer this past saturday and the funeral in Thursday and then the wedding on Saturday. I have known her for many years and she specifically came to me to make her cake. I really want everything to be as perfect as it can be (considering her dad won't be there).

Thanks again,
Nikki

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%