Bubbles In Fondant?

Decorating By jlsheik Updated 18 Aug 2009 , 10:18pm by 2508s42

jlsheik Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
jlsheik Posted 17 Aug 2009 , 5:24pm
post #1 of 8

What is the trick to rolling out fondant without getting bubbles. I covered my first wedding cake last weekend with full fondant. I used Michele Fosters fondant and once it was rolled, I kept having to pop the big and small bubbles with a pin....and that left small holes.
Help....any advice would be great!

7 replies
Rosie2 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Rosie2 Posted 17 Aug 2009 , 5:41pm
post #2 of 8

That happened to me with the marshmallow fondant...then I tired Michelle Foster's fondant and I didn't have that problem. But, maybe the experts can give you some input.
Good luck,

NatalieMarie Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
NatalieMarie Posted 17 Aug 2009 , 7:19pm
post #3 of 8

Bubbles tend to occur if you over knead your fondant.

Once you've place the fondant on your cake, smooth the fondant and if you see any air bubbles, take a clean pin and prick it as the air bubble will only get bigger over time. Once you've pricked the bubble, smooth the fondant again.

jlsheik Posted 18 Aug 2009 , 12:02pm
post #4 of 8
Quote:
Originally Posted by NatalieMarie

Bubbles tend to occur if you over knead your fondant.

Once you've place the fondant on your cake, smooth the fondant and if you see any air bubbles, take a clean pin and prick it as the air bubble will only get bigger over time. Once you've pricked the bubble, smooth the fondant again.

I am wondering how to keep from getting them...am I kneading the fondant to much before rolling it out?

Is this "part" of the fun of fondant? lol

NatalieMarie Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
NatalieMarie Posted 18 Aug 2009 , 12:13pm
post #5 of 8

Yes, I think that's what may be happening. I find that if I'm colouring my fondant, if I'm kneading it too much, I will get air bubbles.

I always use ready made fondant. In the UK we have a really good product called Regalice, I'm not entirely sure as I've never tried the American brands, but we don't seem to have the problems with taste that I've noticed Americans complain of with their brands.

I've never made my own fondant so I wouldn't know about kneading it homemade, but you hardly have to knead bought fondant very much, just enough to make it pliable and to avoid cracks.

jlsheik Posted 18 Aug 2009 , 1:58pm
post #6 of 8

I just had a light bulb moment....I do use Satin Ice for black and red and it is soooo soft at first. I think I will try not making my fondant so stiff....I really have to knead it to get it to a workable consistancy. I think maybe all that kneading is where the bubbles are coming from.
Thanks for your reply...I think I will make some today try that.
Laura

sheena Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
sheena Posted 18 Aug 2009 , 4:15pm
post #7 of 8

Prick bubbles with a pin and use cake smoothers... cake smoothers are a real boon.

2508s42 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
2508s42 Posted 18 Aug 2009 , 10:18pm
post #8 of 8

If you do get the pin prick mark from the bubbles, use a little royal icing or bc in the same color and fill in the hole, wipe off the excess. It will disappear.

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%