Storing Fondant Covered Cake?

Decorating By pjnme3 Updated 19 Aug 2009 , 3:51pm by DefyGravity

pjnme3 Posted 17 Aug 2009 , 5:22pm
post #1 of 5

When I took my Wilton courses, the instructor told us that a cake covered in fondant cannot be refrigerated because it will harden. However, when I watch Cake Boss, they ARE refrigerating their cakes covered in fondant. What gives?

Thanks.

4 replies
luminajd Posted 17 Aug 2009 , 5:47pm
post #2 of 5

I have read a variety of responses on here regarding this. I think the general consensus is a fondant covered cake can be refrigerated, provided when it comes out of the fridge it is left undisturbed as it rises to room temp. Condensation may form on it, and it must be left for the condensation to dry, then it will be fine.
My friend put her fondant covered cake I made for her in the fridge without any problems.
HTH

Texas_Rose Posted 17 Aug 2009 , 5:50pm
post #3 of 5

I just got brave and tried sticking one in the fridge over the weekend. It held up fine, and did not form condensation as it came to room temp. The leaves and things on it didn't wilt either.

pjnme3 Posted 19 Aug 2009 , 2:31pm
post #4 of 5

Thank you--I'll try a small "test" cake.

DefyGravity Posted 19 Aug 2009 , 3:51pm
post #5 of 5

I'm glad this topic came up.

Are there certain types of fondant that fare better than others when refrigerated? What about the cake getting dried out? I usually make WASC cakes, but is there a different one I should try that would stay moist? How long can it be refrigerated?

I've read that brushing the cake with a simple syrup will help prevent it from getting dried out. Any ideas?

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%