Wine Bottle Covered In Fondant?

Decorating By luminajd Updated 28 Feb 2012 , 5:12pm by saychiraj

luminajd Posted 17 Aug 2009 , 4:08pm
post #1 of 9

I have done a search and read all the threads found on wine bottle cakes, and found lots of great pics in the gallery.
I think I would like to do a 2D wine bottle laying on it's side. From the gallery, I think the ones that look the most realistic are those made of gumpaste. But I want the wine bottle to be edible. Is there a way to carve the bottle from cake and lay fondant on the carved cake? Any tips on making the wine bottle look as real as possible?
It just seems like none of them in the gallery are cake covered in fondant. Am I missing something?

8 replies
Doug Posted 17 Aug 2009 , 4:35pm
post #2 of 9

use round cakes split in half and standing on edge as a starting point. glue together with butter cream. Could even tort. May want to run at least on skewer/dowel length of main body of cake for extra insurance.

if match to 1/2 of a wondermold cake (use that for the shoulder of the bottle -- transition bottle to neck) then you use 8" rounds to match size of base of wondermold. (in sketch, the wondermold is the part with diagonal lines)

Log of RKT or cut out little rings of cake and split in half for the neck.

then just roll out one big sheet of fondant, lay over cake, smooth and trim (this will be relatively easy)

very little wasted cake with this method-- just 1/2 the wondermold cake

luminajd Posted 17 Aug 2009 , 5:44pm
post #3 of 9

Thanks so much, Doug. I saw a few of your responses in my search and you summed it up nicely here.
I dont have the wondermold pan, as I am a newbie. Is it worth investing in? Are there lots of other cakes I can make with it (I have heard of it, but cant think of a ton of uses for it off the top of my head)
If it isnt very versatile, I have read I can bake in vegetable cans to get the cylindar shape, would that be worth a try?

Doug Posted 17 Aug 2009 , 6:02pm
post #4 of 9

wondermold, while the basis of so many doll cakes (EEWWWW) is also a great "basic" shape to have.

use any place you need a cone type shape.

a whole mold for example can be used for:

• sponge bob's pineapple house (the top part of the house, stack on rounds and carve them to get bottom)

• XXX(L) breasts icon_eek.gif (Modonna's "bullet bra" comes to mind icon_confused.gif ) for a naughty cake! icon_rolleyes.gif

• mountains and hills (over the hill, motorcross, etc.)

• add a rounded base and you have a 3D egg--or split in half and half round base -- 2 half-eggs.

• split in half and put fat end to fat end, acceptable rendition of a football.

• turned pointy end down and supported properly -- the cup of a wine glass or chalice (ditto for splitting in half and adding detailing)

• part of the body of a bird, a whale, or other conical shaped animal.

• etc.

experiment, have fun, PLAY!

nearly any kind of can from veggie to soup to tuna will work for baking --- just clean well and grease well (and have advantage can even cut the bottom off and push the cake out!)

Darthburn Posted 17 Aug 2009 , 6:14pm
post #5 of 9

Maybe work something out with pastillage. Make a batch and cover half the actual wine bottle, then repeat (or use 2 similar bottles) and when dry glue together with royal icing. Stuff it with cake or fondant to make it more sturdy? Be careful of cracking.

I just tried rice krispie treats for my last project and they were awesome to work with and cut and mold. Easy to fondant over and people loved eating them (although they were a little stiff). Make a batch and mold a bottle. Cover with BC and fondant. Viola!

If you were wanting cake to eat, do the bottle in krispies and then use a cake for the base of whatever project you are doing (ie: the table top or decorate like a picnic blanket).

Whatever you do, don't be afraid to experiment! icon_smile.gif

superwawa Posted 17 Aug 2009 , 7:07pm
post #6 of 9

I am having issues posting a photo today, but I just made a wine bottle cake in a workshop class yesterday.

To make the bottle we used 2 soup cans (fill 1/2 to 3/4 with batter - they will rise!) and then for the neck we put heavy duty foil over the neck of a real bottle, took that off, rested it upside down in an empty third can and filled that partially with batter too.

Assembled all 3 pieces with BC and a skewer through the middle and crumb coated. Covered the whole thing with fondant - also made a "foil" cap by using a separate piece of fondant that had been molded on a real bottle.

The base cake had an indent made in the shape of the bottle, and was covered in fondant also.

I don't have pics of the bottle before covering it, but maybe this will help!

luminajd Posted 17 Aug 2009 , 7:24pm
post #7 of 9

Superwawa, you are fantastic! I am a very visual person and your pics helped me tremendously. I have almost a month before I need to make this cake, and you have eased my anxiety!
Can you tell me what all you applied to your fondant to make it so pretty and realistic looking? What is your label made from?
Thanks to all the people who replied so far!
And Doug, I have two daughters, both of whom I am sure would LOVE doll cakes, so I am sure the wonderball pan would be of use thumbs_up.gif

superwawa Posted 17 Aug 2009 , 8:03pm
post #8 of 9

Luminajd - welcome to CC! Glad the pics helped - I am also very visual which is why I probably took pics as we went along!

The fondant 'fabric' was painted with some lusterdust mixed with lemon extract - I did that because I did not want it to be bright white, but some of the others in our class colored that fondant instead: pink, blue, etc.

The bottle was painted with full-strength gel color - a mix of burgundy and brown. It remains tacky to the touch this way and does not dry like when you dilute it with extract/vodka, but it is the key to giving it that shiny/wet glass look.

I made my label out of fondant - rolled and cut to shape, then draped over a real wine bottle dusted with cornstarch. I painted using gel color and gold luster mixed with vodka. If you want something more realistic you could use an edible image.

saychiraj Posted 28 Feb 2012 , 5:12pm
post #9 of 9

I was wondering if I can use stainless steel cups for baking the bottle parts. Is steel ok to use in a gas oven?

Quote by @%username% on %date%