Gumpaste Flowers Video? Please Help!

Decorating By Clovers Updated 18 Aug 2009 , 1:59pm by mmdiez10

Clovers Posted 17 Aug 2009 , 3:29pm
post #1 of 5

I have to do a birthday cake this weekend and they want 'pink flowers' - but I don't want to make roses, and I want to make them out of gumpaste. I'm just starting out with gumpaste, so I need a video to go by - does anyone know of any flowers that I can do in pink, that aren't roses, that has a tutorial video?? I'm going to make calla lilies as well from Edna's video, but I need a pink flower to go with them! Please help!

Also - I don't have a veiner for petals or leaves - is it totally necessary? is there a way to cheat to make the veins???

4 replies
xstitcher Posted 18 Aug 2009 , 9:43am
post #2 of 5

How about carnations? They're pretty easy to do.

There's a few video's on youtube:

Here's one of them:

marknelliesmum Posted 18 Aug 2009 , 10:14am
post #3 of 5

Hey there
I suppose it all depends on which cutters you have - if you have any 5 petal cutters you could just thin them out with a ball tool and layer them up on top of each other so each layer of petals sits in between the petals of the previous layer ( hope that makes sense). It is sometimes easier if you don't have the correct cutters etc to design your own flower using what you have, they don't have to be botanically corrrect. Here's another few videos from youtube.
HTH

ps- if you could tell us which cutters and tools you have access to it may be easier for us to come up with ideas to suit

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=s03-WoYJafk&hl=un
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ySaj24CsHKA&feature=related

Clovers Posted 18 Aug 2009 , 1:17pm
post #4 of 5

I pretty much have nothing for cutters.

I have a whole set of hearts (I'm going to try calla lilies, so I bought those). And I have a plain circles set. The closest Michael's is a 2.5 hour drive and their selection is pretty limited.

I have the Wilton gum paste tool kit though, so is there any tricks using those tools and the circle that would make a neat petal that I could layer to make my own? I watched Edna's rose video, but I don't want the petals to look like roses, so is there a different way to do the petals?

mmdiez10 Posted 18 Aug 2009 , 1:59pm
post #5 of 5

Try cakesuppliesdepot.com. I bought some DVDs from them that show you how to make gumpaste flowers with your fingers, no cutters. You can see her videos on youtube under sug-art by ruthy. Her accent is heavy but her technique is amazing.

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%