Red/black Mmf

Decorating By twingirls05 Updated 17 Aug 2009 , 12:26pm by Texas_Rose

twingirls05 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
twingirls05 Posted 17 Aug 2009 , 11:24am
post #1 of 4

I have a cake order for this Friday for red flip flops with black trim. Ok, doing the flip flops is no problem, but when I heard the colors I cringed! I don't want to buy Wilton fondant b/c when she first asked me about it, I told her I made it with marshmallow and it actually tastes decent.

What's the best way to get a good outcome with red and black MMF?? Please help!

3 replies
Texas_Rose Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Texas_Rose Posted 17 Aug 2009 , 11:31am
post #2 of 4

Add the color to the melted marshmallows before you mix in the powdered sugar. That helps keep it from getting that crumbly feel.

Also, for black MMF you can add some cocoa powder to your marshmallows and decrease the powdered sugar a little bit. It will taste like chocolate (the cocoa powder I use tastes like tootsie rolls in MMF) but the brown doesn't take much color to turn into black.

cylstrial Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
cylstrial Posted 17 Aug 2009 , 11:51am
post #3 of 4

Buy Americolor gel (it's a squeeze bottle), and then squeeze the color in while it's mixing. Americolor is really good because it's really strong. You will use way less color, but get a much stronger deeper color than if you were using Wilton. Same thing with the black.

I also start with chocolate MMF as well... if I'm going to be making it black.

Texas_Rose Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Texas_Rose Posted 17 Aug 2009 , 12:26pm
post #4 of 4

The only thing about Americolor's super red is that it can darken a lot overnight, so leave it a shade lighter than you want.

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%