Edible Only On Cakes?

Decorating By Brandy982006 Updated 17 Aug 2009 , 10:50am by Texas_Rose

Brandy982006 Posted 17 Aug 2009 , 5:24am
post #1 of 6

I have always been curious about this...what is everyones take on using actual ribbon/non-edible decorations on cakes? I mean...a toy is pretty common to add (I think so anyway) but I really stink at making things like ribbon and such and would rather put on real ribbon, but my daughter (who is my un-official assistant) tells me she doesn't want me to put any non-edible items on a cake. I just think the real deal gives a better look. I do practice making ribbon and bows and stuff but I am not that confident yet. She is only 16 and decorating about a month now and makes such great looking bows and ribbons...I have to take directions from her, lol.

Well, I was just curious...thanks for your input icon_smile.gif

5 replies
sweetcakesbydesign Posted 17 Aug 2009 , 5:47am
post #2 of 6

alot of decorators perfer to only use edible items on their cakes. Personally, i would rather it be edible, but if the customer wants little toy soldiers or something else that is non-edible, you cant really argue with thhem...well you can but not a good idea icon_lol.gif

-K8memphis Posted 17 Aug 2009 , 7:55am
post #3 of 6

It's purely personal preference.

OMGitsaLisa Posted 17 Aug 2009 , 8:16am
post #4 of 6

It's entirely personal preference. My preference happens to be toys only, no ribbons or bows.

Rylan Posted 17 Aug 2009 , 9:05am
post #5 of 6

I personally try to make my cakes 100% edible. I think it gives it a wow factor when done right.

I mean how don't you want to hear them say, "OMGOSH, is that real? OMGOSH!".

Texas_Rose Posted 17 Aug 2009 , 10:50am
post #6 of 6

It really just depends on what you like. I like to make my own ribbon and stuff just because then I can match it exactly to the cake. Otherwise I'd be buying the ribbon and then matching the cake to it and hoping the food color doesn't fade before it's served. Also it's cheaper for me to just make whatever it is out of fondant, since I use marshmallow fondant.

A lot of kids look forward to getting the toy from the top of their cakes. I made cupcakes for my daughter's class and when I asked her how her classmates liked them, she said, "Oh, they were sad because everyone else's cupcakes come with rings that we can wear all day."

I think some of the reason people seem to be going for the edible stuff is that they're watching the cake shows. It was funny, Friday I was at the grocery store and while my kids were picking out their bagels, I saw a woman flipping through the cake book, and then she asked the bakery employee, "But don't you have anything with the pieces on top made out of fondant, like they do on TV?"

Quote by @%username% on %date%