I'd Like To Help.

Lounge By Jen80 Updated 18 Aug 2009 , 1:15am by kakeladi

Jen80 Posted 17 Aug 2009 , 4:53am
post #1 of 5

Hi guys.

I am doing a dartboard cake for a friend in two weeks.

Now this friend is really nice (and actually has a concience LOL!) I told her when I first started decorating that I would give her a cake at a really good price.

Being that she is so nice, she WILL give me more than what I told her. She hasn't told me that, I just know she will.

She will be travelling to Alice Springs in September for an Engagement party and would like to buy the couple a cake. She has priced the cakes there and they are way over her budget.

So, what I would like to do is make her some decorations that she could put on a plain iced cake when she gets there.

I'm thinking of two flower bouquets, a plague and some individual pearls to put around the bottom.

The thing is they have to travel for about 2-3 days, from really cold, drizzly, mould on your walls type of weather to so hot and dry that the dirt is cracked type of weather.

I'm just wondering ,will they make it if they are made out of gumpaste and fondant?

And, what would be the best way to package them?

I'm also open to suggestions on completely different decorations that WILL last the distance.

I know this is a "How do I" question, but she comes to CC to get ideas for cakes she wants me to make in future and I didn't want her to see it.

4 replies
Texas_Rose Posted 17 Aug 2009 , 11:12am
post #2 of 5

My sister has transported gumpaste flowers in styrofoam ice chests before...my dad has a prescription that comes in a little ice chest each month, and I fill up the leftover ones with flowers for my sister to use on her desserts when she entertains. She doesn't have that far to go, but a lot of the time she'll leave the flowers in the car for a few hours while she shops or has dinner, and the heat doesn't seem to damage them. I also see gumpaste decorations for sale at the craft stores, and I'm sure they're not transporting them in a climate controlled truck. The humid weather would be more likely to damage the flowers than the heat, I think. Maybe if you saved a few of those desiccant packets that come in shoe boxes and backpacks, and put them in the container where they weren't touching the flowers, that would help.

The pearls should be easy to do, as long as they're dry you can put them in a plastic storage container.

Jen80 Posted 18 Aug 2009 , 12:24am
post #3 of 5

Thanks for your help Texas_Rose.

Sorry about spelling mistakes in original post, I kept getting interrupted. icon_redface.gif

Texas_Rose Posted 18 Aug 2009 , 1:15am
post #4 of 5

Didn't notice any spelling mistakes icon_biggrin.gif Except when my daughter's doing homework, I'm not the spelling police.

kakeladi Posted 18 Aug 2009 , 1:15am
post #5 of 5

Yeah, basically what she saidicon_smile.gif
Get some of those little moisture absorbing packets what come in some shoe boxes and/or purses to throw in the box you pack them in.

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%