Fondant String Swags

Decorating By tripleE Updated 17 Aug 2009 , 10:18pm by ninatat

tripleE Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
tripleE Posted 17 Aug 2009 , 4:46am
post #1 of 8

Okay--I need a little help figuring out how to make the swags on this cake:

http://www.brides.com/planning/cakes/feature/slide/195397/#slide_195402

I'm doing this for my son in 2 weeks. I've been practicing with chocopan and a clay gun. Not having much success.

Does anyone have any ideas? Thanks!! icon_smile.gif

7 replies
tripleE Posted 17 Aug 2009 , 5:23am
post #2 of 8

Anybody?

-K8memphis Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
-K8memphis Posted 17 Aug 2009 , 8:08am
post #3 of 8

Run the fondant through a pasta machine with the spaghetti attachment.

Texas_Rose Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Texas_Rose Posted 17 Aug 2009 , 11:01am
post #4 of 8

What kind of clay gun are you using? If you've got the green one with the screw top, then it should have a plate that will make lots of narrow strings at once. You probably need to knead in some crisco until the fondant will go through the clay gun more easily.

Also, you might do better with a 50/50 mix of fondant and gumpaste. The gumpaste will make it stronger and less likely to stretch out.

Loucinda Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Loucinda Posted 17 Aug 2009 , 12:36pm
post #5 of 8

That cake is made by Glenda Galvez (current Pres. of ICES) she is a sweetheart. I am betting if you emailed her, she would help you out. (www.auntglendascakes.com)

On the other hand, I would knead quite a bit of shortning into the fondant, then run it through the extruder. Having that shortning in there will give you quite a bit of time to arrange the swag before it starts to dry on you.

DianeLM Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
DianeLM Posted 17 Aug 2009 , 2:03pm
post #6 of 8

If you do contact Glenda (who indeed is a sweetheart), you might want to explain exactly WHAT you're having problems with in order to get the most useful answer. You haven't stated here what's going wrong. Are they breaking? Are they too dry? Are they sticking together? Are they too stretchy? Can't get the gp through the gun?

tripleE Posted 17 Aug 2009 , 2:44pm
post #7 of 8

Thank you, everyone!
I did e-mail Glenda, and she has replied already! She suggested piping them on. Makes sense, but the picture looked like string from a clay gun. Anyway, I appreciate that you all posted replies!! icon_lol.gif

ninatat Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
ninatat Posted 17 Aug 2009 , 10:18pm
post #8 of 8

i'm just a junior but i'm not good with getting the piping to be even when i pull away i like the fondant and i think it looks much better

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%