Sharing My Jack Skellington

Decorating By Darthburn Updated 17 Aug 2009 , 6:19pm by Darthburn

Darthburn Posted 17 Aug 2009 , 3:57am
post #1 of 7

Hi everyone! Just wanted to share my new Jack Skellington cake with you! I had made the cake on my avatar 3 years ago for my wife's b-day. The other day I had someone ask me to do another so I did. I've tried to improve my skill over the last 3 years, though I havent much. I have tried new media though!
This new Jack is on a chocolate cake with a faux fondant (sorta) buttercream in grey.

His body is 4 layers of yellow cake carved to the shape I wanted... 8 " tall and 14" wide. I buttercreamed it and covered it in fondant. This time I used my new airbrush for the first time ever! I painted black on his jacket.

The neck and bowtie are pastillage. The neck was rolled out then wrapped around a PAM can and dried. The bowtie hand cut and airbrushed black. The bat head is fondant airbrushed.

Jack's head this time is rice krispies molded by mixing bowls, and then by hand. I used a spoon to deepen the eye sockets. I BC coated it and then added fondant. I hand painted the face with black paste.

Finally I added royal icing pinstrips on his coat. All in all I had about 18 hours including the baking and making pastillage and BC.

I had a great time and hope you all enjoy.
I actually made an instruction page with pictures if you are interested. I have yet to add text, but please feel free to look and ask questions.

http://www.vintagelimitedstreetrods.com/cake.html

6 replies
__Jamie__ Posted 17 Aug 2009 , 4:15am
post #2 of 7

Ooooo, I likey!

cathyscakes Posted 17 Aug 2009 , 4:33am
post #3 of 7

great job thumbs_up.gif

mjk350 Posted 17 Aug 2009 , 4:36am
post #4 of 7

Thats so cool!!! Great job!! icon_surprised.gif

sweetcakesbydesign Posted 17 Aug 2009 , 5:40am
post #5 of 7

Wow!!!

lillermom Posted 17 Aug 2009 , 10:48am
post #6 of 7

Great job!

Darthburn Posted 17 Aug 2009 , 6:19pm
post #7 of 7

icon_redface.gif

That's supposed to be blushing. Thank you all for the nice comments. icon_smile.gif

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%