Cookie Bouquets

Baking By jules5000 Updated 22 Aug 2009 , 11:34pm by indydebi

jules5000 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
jules5000 Posted 17 Aug 2009 , 3:05am
post #1 of 13

I tried to do one recently and thought all my cookies were well dried and when I put the in the floral foam they stayed on their sticks from 5 minutes to 30 minutes and they all eventually all fell off their sticks. Anybody got any tried and true ways of doing a successful cookie bouquet? I saw an article about how to successfully wrap a cookie bouquet for mailing, but not one on how to put one together literally. I am needing mainly to find out how to make the cookies stay on the cookie sticks. Thanks for any help.

12 replies
makeminepink Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
makeminepink Posted 17 Aug 2009 , 3:16am
post #2 of 13

I've just been thinking today that I want to try one soon. Haven't done it yet, so let me ask you a few questions. Did you lay the stick on the cookie sheet and then put the cookie on top or did you just put the stick in when they came out of the oven............what did you try? Maybe we'll get some answers.

makeminepink Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
makeminepink Posted 17 Aug 2009 , 3:27am
post #3 of 13

Ok, like I said-- I haven't done it yet, but here's what I learned from reading today. People have several different methods. Some lay the stick on the pan and then lay the cookie over it and make sure the dough is around the stick, not around the back, but molded on. Some cut the cookie dough thick and push it into the cookie. Some, while the cookie is warm, push the stick in and say that as it cools, it shrinks around the stick. Still others don't even put the stick in the cookie, the just bag the cookie, use a twistie to fasten it snuggly and glue the stick to the bag. Lots of ways to do it! Oh yes, one more-- some cut out a cookie, put the dough on the cookie sheet, put the stick on the dough and then cut another cookie-- a thin one-- and place it carefully on top. I guess we'll just have to do some experimenting!

vinman9 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
vinman9 Posted 17 Aug 2009 , 3:30am
post #4 of 13

Shiney posted some great info about making cookie bouquets here:

http://cakecentral.com/cake-decorating-ftopict-619564-.html

I made some for my daughters' preschool teachers, and I followed the instructions except did not use the hot glue gun. They turned out GREAT! Here they are:

http://www.cakecentral.com/cake-photo_1373797.html

Good luck, hope this helps!

andpotts Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
andpotts Posted 17 Aug 2009 , 5:00am
post #5 of 13

I hated doing cookie bouquets due to the stress of keeping it all together until Shiney shared her attach the stick to the bag info. Sincer then I have never turned back, works like a charm every single time, no matter what size the cookie! I also skip the hot glue step, but I use a seriously strong clear tape, not regular Scotch tape, it's like packing tape, completely transparent, but on the small, regular size roll. (It's also the only thing that will hold party decorations on our textured wall and not ruin the paint) Works like a charm!

Someone said doing it this way would make people unhappy when they found their cookie not actually 'on the stick' but that hasn't been my experience at all, it's all about the presentation, they see it, love it, kids and adults alike enjoy carting off thier cool favor on a stick and when they open the baggie they take the cookie out and gobble it up, never ever had one complaint and I have done LOTS since crossing over icon_smile.gif Best of luck whatever you choose! Andrea

CookiesforaGoodCause Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
CookiesforaGoodCause Posted 17 Aug 2009 , 2:14pm
post #6 of 13

I have always put a small ball of dough (dime shaped) on the cookie sheet, then the stick (press it in a little), then just lay the cookie on top (don't even need to press it down), bake. Make sure they cool completely before moving them. The only annoying thing is you can't fit as many on cookie sheet because of the sticks.

After reading about the tape/glue method on the bag here I tried it. It just doesn't work for me, the cookies seem wobbily.

Good luck!

jules5000 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
jules5000 Posted 17 Aug 2009 , 3:00pm
post #7 of 13

I have not used those pans that have the space for the stick in the cookie because to me that limits your ability. I tried making and decorating the cookies and letting them completely dry and then I attached the cookie sticks to them using Royal icing and I thought that since that would dry hard that would work. It didn't and I realize now why even as I was answering your question about what I had tried. I have also been told to use melted candy melts to attach and I haven't tried that, but I want to go to that website and see what you are talking about and also I am most curious about attaching the stick to the bag. I will most definitely be playing around with these ideas and let you all know how it worked. Thank you so much.

Lcubed82 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Lcubed82 Posted 19 Aug 2009 , 2:48am
post #8 of 13
Quote:
Originally Posted by CookiesforaGoodCause

I have always put a small ball of dough (dime shaped) on the cookie sheet, then the stick (press it in a little), then just lay the cookie on top (don't even need to press it down), bake.

This sounds much easier than my usual with the same result. I cut, insert stick, carefully turn over, add a little snake of dough over any stick showing, then turn back over. I did not care for the other taped stick method either, though it was easy. Guess I'll have to try another bouquet soon!

indydebi Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
indydebi Posted 19 Aug 2009 , 3:02am
post #9 of 13

makeminepink, that was quite an impressive list! thumbs_up.gif

I'll add my 2 cents. I roll the dough thick and insert the stick before baking. Once the stick is in, I flip it over to look at the back. If I see the stick (thin dough), then I'll make a small roll of dough (like a teeny tiny cookie hot dog!) and flatten it out over the stick. An extra layer of dough to fill in the gaps that resulted when I pushed the stick in.

THen I flip the cookie back over, and gently press the dough around the stick.

I've never had a problem since. I think compressing the dough around the stick before baking has been the key for me.

If the sticks are still loose after they cool, piping some melted chocolate at the point where the stick goes in the cookie really works, too.

Lcubed82 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Lcubed82 Posted 19 Aug 2009 , 5:35pm
post #10 of 13

Debi, how thick do you cut your cookies?

indydebi Posted 19 Aug 2009 , 6:33pm
post #11 of 13

probably about 3/8" or so. slightly thicker than the wooden cookie stick that I use (not a skewer, not a white paper stick .... I use the same wooden sticks that I cut up and use as dowels in a cake.)

Mickeebabe Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Mickeebabe Posted 22 Aug 2009 , 11:31pm
post #12 of 13

I use this method I found here:

http://www.karenscookies.net/shop//cookie-projects-baking-cookie-pops/info_46.html

Seems to work pretty good. Havn't had any cookies fall off the stick.

Hope you find something that works for you.

indydebi Posted 22 Aug 2009 , 11:34pm
post #13 of 13

Mickeebabe, that's a very good visual that's real close to what I do. Thanks for sharing that!

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%