Do You Provide Venue With Cake Cutting Guide??

Decorating By The_Sugar_Fairy Updated 18 Aug 2009 , 3:14am by gscout73

The_Sugar_Fairy Posted 17 Aug 2009 , 2:31am
post #1 of 4

Hello! I'm doing my first wedding cake soon and I'm very excited about it, but had a couple questions... do you usually provide the venue with a cake cutting guide and something that states not to remove the fondant from the cake (heard horror stories about that here on Cake Central, lol) or to use a sharp knife when cutting a cake with fondant?? Any advice to do with deliveries, set-ups, and dealing with the venues would be so much appreciated. Thank you!

3 replies
antonia74 Posted 17 Aug 2009 , 5:08am
post #2 of 4

I give them a page with diagrams of how to cut each tier of cake, the flavour(s) for each tier, instructions for keeping/serving the top tier, boxes for the top tier/leftovers AND a phone number where I can be reached that day/evening.

I ask the co-ordinator at the venue to read it over with me there, to sign my copy of it and to then give their copy to the kitchen.

Why?

Because at one of my first weddings the venue cut the cake into slices that were twice the size of the dessert portions the bride had ordered. The total idiots began serving the cake to all 140 guests and ran out after 70 portions!!! icon_surprised.gif Half the wedding went without any dessert at all....including the head table (who you think would have been served first, right? icon_confused.gif ) Anyway, the bride blamed me for the error.

Even though I go to this much trouble to give instructions, I can tell you that the majority of co-ordinators at venues just throw out my page and don't bother handing it to the kitchen. (They just assume the staff knows better than I do I guess! icon_rolleyes.gif ) Getting them to sign it lets everyone know I did my part...after that, it's their own fault.

sweetcakesbydesign Posted 17 Aug 2009 , 8:26am
post #3 of 4

I give a diagrambecause i had the same problem as antonia74. They gave huge serving sizes.

gscout73 Posted 18 Aug 2009 , 3:14am
post #4 of 4

YES!!! The one time I didn't I received a complaint there was not enough cake. I always round up to give several more servings to allow for crashers and those who did not RSVPs. So, I always know there are enough slices for the actual order.

Sandy

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%