Dowelling A Petal Cake On Mdf Boards

Decorating By Briarview Updated 17 Aug 2009 , 2:42am by Briarview

Briarview Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Briarview Posted 17 Aug 2009 , 1:29am
post #1 of 3

I have a 2 tier 5 petal cake to make for a bride and I have had boards cut out of MDF a type of board 15mm thick. I have to place tall pillars between them and I am now wondering if the wooden dowels will support the top 10" cake. The bottom cake is 14". This is the first pillared cake I have had to do for all the years I have been cake decorating. The cakes will be mudcake and my recipe is not too dense. Can someone please help me and advise the best way to do it as the dowels will not be able to pierce the bottom board. If there is no way it will work I will have to go to pinex for the extra support. Thanks
LL

2 replies
bravoe06 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
bravoe06 Posted 17 Aug 2009 , 2:09am
post #2 of 3

Couldn't you still get a platic cake divider board for the 10 inch cake flip it upside down so the pillars can sit well into the plastic divider? Just place the 10 in platic cake divider on the mdf 14 in board and mark the 14 inch cake with the 2nd 10 inch cake divider and settle the 10 in mdf board for the 20 inch cake right on top when you get to the event?...hope that made sense

Briarview Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Briarview Posted 17 Aug 2009 , 2:42am
post #3 of 3

Yes Sweet2oothtreats I have been experimenting with the pans and boards and discovered I have a wilton 6" and 10" plate that I must have bought somewhere along the line and I have the pillars that you clip onto the plates in 2 lengths. I thought perhaps if I place the 10" plate under the 14" cake and push the plastic pillars through the cake and clip onto the plate, clip the 6" plate on the top and place the 10" board and cake on the top of this. Then I would have it looking like it is on pillars but the pillars are coming out of the cake. Would this be strong enough.?

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%