Calling All Smart/creative People ... Any Ideas For This?

Decorating By emiyeric Updated 21 Aug 2009 , 6:02am by emiyeric

emiyeric Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
emiyeric Posted 17 Aug 2009 , 1:21am
post #1 of 4

Hey guys!

So a friend of mine has been out of town for awhile, and is getting in about one month from now, and wants a "margarita cake" (not the flavor, she wants cherry cheesecake WASC for that - just the design). I am pretty comfortable with fondant and gumpaste and the like, and have seen some really cute designs with limes and green bows and margarita glass cutouts here. However, I'm wondering what the best way would be for me to do the following: I want to model margarita glasses out of gumpaste, and maybe dip them in something (pulled sugar, syrup, or something?) to give a "glass-like" effect to the overall margarita glass (ha! I just said "glass" three times in that sentence!).

Do you think it's doable? I'd LOVE to have it look like my green gumpaste margarita is covered contained inside a glass .... please let me know if you have any ideas!

-Emi.

3 replies
Jen80 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Jen80 Posted 20 Aug 2009 , 12:38pm
post #2 of 4

I would think that the heat from the pulled sugar or syrup would melt the gumpaste.

Do you want a 3D design or just flat?

If you only wanted flat you could possibly, very carefully pour melted sugar into the shape of a glass on some foil.

If you've never experimented with melted sugar, toffee or anything like that before I suggest that you practice first as it's not as easy as it seems (from my experience anyway). You've got things like air bubbles, transparency and colour to deal with.

Then, you've got storage to consider. It really draws the moisture out of the air and goes soft and gooey. So, you have to store it in an airtight container and only put it on the cake JUST before it is served.

What about clear piping gel to cover your gumpaste glasses? I think that would give them a nice shine. I've never used it before so I don't know if it would cause the gumpaste to become too moist.

Good luck. I'll keep trying to think of ideas.

soobsessedwithcake Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
soobsessedwithcake Posted 20 Aug 2009 , 12:56pm
post #3 of 4

Not exactly what you were asking for but it is another way to go. You could ask her for the instructions....

http://www.cakecentral.com/modules.php?name=gallery&file=displayimage&pid=1174350

emiyeric Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
emiyeric Posted 21 Aug 2009 , 6:02am
post #4 of 4

Thanks so much, both of you! I had no idea pulled sugar would go goopy ... learn something new every day! Thanks again, guys!!

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%