Crisco And Flour Vs. Non-Stick Cooking Spray

Decorating By caked4life Updated 17 Aug 2009 , 9:20pm by veronica720

caked4life Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
caked4life Posted 17 Aug 2009 , 12:14am
post #1 of 28

I always use crisco and flour to prep my pans, but I was curious if anyone had much luck with just using a spray such as Pam for baking or some other non-stick spray.

Thanks!

27 replies
Lita829 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Lita829 Posted 17 Aug 2009 , 12:31am
post #2 of 28

I've used both the crisco-flour and Crisco cake release, which is basically the same as the Pam. I found that they both work well but its easier to just spay and bake.

HTH

indydebi Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
indydebi Posted 17 Aug 2009 , 12:44am
post #3 of 28

I grease-only-no-flour. Haven't floured pans in over 30 years. I won't ever use a spray again. Ever. My cakes end up with a SpongeBob texture on the sides and are "crunchy" on the sides, too. The spray works well for others, but that's been my experience with it.

StarbucksAddict Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
StarbucksAddict Posted 17 Aug 2009 , 1:01am
post #4 of 28

Even when I liberally sprayed with PAM, the cakes still stuck on the bottom (right in the middle) which made it super annoying to frost/cut. I will never use that garbage again.

I go with butter and flour.

varika Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
varika Posted 17 Aug 2009 , 1:14am
post #5 of 28

I use the Wilton spray-with-flour, but I also use parchment paper. I spray the bottom, put the parchment in, and spray it and the sides. I have the most beautiful releases ever now.

mygirlssweet Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
mygirlssweet Posted 17 Aug 2009 , 1:27am
post #6 of 28

I spray my pans with generic vegetable spray, the same as I use to cook with, and then line the bottom with parchment paper. Works wonderful for me. I used to use flour but I don't like how crunchy it made the sides and bottom.

cookiemom51 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
cookiemom51 Posted 17 Aug 2009 , 1:34am
post #7 of 28

I don't like the way spray gets all over the surfaces on the kitchen. It is hard enough to keep it clean with all the flour and sugar dispersed in the air icon_smile.gif

Rylan Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Rylan Posted 17 Aug 2009 , 1:41am
post #8 of 28

Pam works great with my chocolate cake. With the others, I use a mixture of equal amounts of oil, flour and shortening.

BlakesCakes Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
BlakesCakes Posted 17 Aug 2009 , 2:55am
post #9 of 28

When I started getting crunchy edges with the spray ons, I went to shortening and flour (I always use parchment on the bottom)--and hated the mess. Then, I discovered Wilton's "paint on" cake release (it was on sale at Sur La Table, half price) and I'm a convert.

I paint it on the sides with a paper towel, swipe the bottom with the towel and then add the parchment. It doesn't spray all over & a bottle goes a long way

For me, the results are the best ever.

Rae

sweetcakesbydesign Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
sweetcakesbydesign Posted 17 Aug 2009 , 5:05am
post #10 of 28

I grease and flour. Haven't had the guts to try spraying icon_razz.gif

Doughnut Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Doughnut Posted 17 Aug 2009 , 5:08am
post #11 of 28

NO SPRAYS! They do not work for me. My stuff still sticks. With the following recipe you will NEVER use those non-stick sprays again.. I promise you this:

1 cup oil
1 cup shortening
1 cup flour

blend it all together and keep it in a tupperware bowl with lid. Does not have to be refrigerated. You can use this
to grease anything that you would use Pam for. Your cakes will seem to JUMP out of the pan. And this will not effect any of your recipes.

xstitcher Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
xstitcher Posted 17 Aug 2009 , 5:32am
post #12 of 28

I use homemade cake release as well. When I started I used the Wilton cake release as recommended by my instructor but couldn't find it one night so I did a quick search on line and found out how to make my own. As others have mentioned it's equal parts flour/shortening/oil mixed well together. It keeps for quite a while too. I think someone's even posted it in the recipe section now.

soygurl Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
soygurl Posted 17 Aug 2009 , 5:37am
post #13 of 28
Quote:
Originally Posted by varika

I use the Wilton spray-with-flour, but I also use parchment paper. I spray the bottom, put the parchment in, and spray it and the sides. I have the most beautiful releases ever now.

Why spray when you use parchment? Especially, why spray before the parchment? At the bakery I work at it's parchment only for everything. Seems to work fine to me, but I've never tried spraying the parchment... icon_confused.gificon_rolleyes.gif

varika Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
varika Posted 17 Aug 2009 , 5:55am
post #14 of 28
Quote:
Originally Posted by soygurl

Quote:
Originally Posted by varika

Why spray when you use parchment? Especially, why spray before the parchment? At the bakery I work at it's parchment only for everything. Seems to work fine to me, but I've never tried spraying the parchment... icon_confused.gificon_rolleyes.gif

It's a trick I learned from Food Network. The spray before helps the parchment to stick to the bottom of the pan and not move around when I pour the batter in, and spray after helps the parchment release from the cake better, as well as helping the cake release from the sides of the pan easier. I never even have to run a knife around the outside of the cake, unless I've let it sit overnight in the pan.

I tried it with just parchment once, and it came out of the pan nicely, but then when I pulled the parchment away from the cake, a huge hunk of cake came with it from the bottom of my cake, so ever since, I use the spray too. It does seem to work just as well with pan grease, too.

soygurl Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
soygurl Posted 17 Aug 2009 , 6:11am
post #15 of 28

Huh. Maybe I'll try that sometime. icon_cool.gif

caked4life Posted 17 Aug 2009 , 2:04pm
post #16 of 28
Quote:
Originally Posted by Doughnut

NO SPRAYS! They do not work for me. My stuff still sticks. With the following recipe you will NEVER use those non-stick sprays again.. I promise you this:

1 cup oil
1 cup shortening
1 cup flour

blend it all together and keep it in a tupperware bowl with lid. Does not have to be refrigerated. You can use this
to grease anything that you would use Pam for. Your cakes will seem to JUMP out of the pan. And this will not effect any of your recipes.

Thanks for the recipe, Doughnut! Is the 1 cup oil, vegetable oil?

iluvmysix Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
iluvmysix Posted 17 Aug 2009 , 2:19pm
post #17 of 28

I absolutely LOVE the homemade cake release. Itis so easy to apply with a pastry brush and works perfectly!! I keep mine in a qt jar. Try it, you wo't be dissapointed.

sweet-thing Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
sweet-thing Posted 17 Aug 2009 , 2:39pm
post #18 of 28

I feel like an idiot! I have been buying cake release from my cake supply store for years! They make it there. I had no clue I could make it so easily myself! It works better than anything else I have used

Thanks for sharing!!

CelebrationCakery Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
CelebrationCakery Posted 17 Aug 2009 , 2:41pm
post #19 of 28

I use bakers joy but you know what??? I have to say it is easy but exactly what some are mentioning are my complaints too...so that is what is causing my issues...I thought I was nuts...there are more holes in my cakes (like a sponge) and the edges are crunchy...I have been cutting my edges off....so now at least I know a new way...I think I will invest in some more sealable containers and a pastry brush and start making my own too....

MerlotCook Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
MerlotCook Posted 17 Aug 2009 , 2:44pm
post #20 of 28

I use the equal amounts shortening, oil and flour, too. It's great. I normally use vegetable oil, but in an emergency when I'm out I'll use whatever I have, just don't use a strong oil.

caked4life Posted 17 Aug 2009 , 3:26pm
post #21 of 28

Thank you all for all of the great information. I can't wait to make my own cake release!

indydebi Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
indydebi Posted 17 Aug 2009 , 3:48pm
post #22 of 28

I didn't spend any money on a pastry brush. Just use a sheet of wax paper as a spreader to spread it in the pan, or buy a box of super cheap (non-zip-lok) sandwich bags and use that like a glove to coat the pans.

But the wax paper is super cheap and there's no clean up! thumbs_up.gif

mbarbi Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
mbarbi Posted 17 Aug 2009 , 4:01pm
post #23 of 28

ive been using the homemade cake release for sometime now...but the last 2 cakes i made and used the homemade cake release...they both stuck to the bottom of my pan...i didnt do anything wrong... used equal parts of shortening, flour and oil...don't know why it didnt work the last two times.

please help...

Deehrvy Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Deehrvy Posted 17 Aug 2009 , 4:22pm
post #24 of 28

Thanks for the recipe, I'm going to make the switch!

leah_s Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
leah_s Posted 17 Aug 2009 , 6:24pm
post #25 of 28
Quote:
Originally Posted by mbarbi

ive been using the homemade cake release for sometime now...but the last 2 cakes i made and used the homemade cake release...they both stuck to the bottom of my pan...i didnt do anything wrong... used equal parts of shortening, flour and oil...don't know why it didnt work the last two times.

please help...

did you put waxed paper or parchment on the bottom?

Kaychell Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Kaychell Posted 17 Aug 2009 , 8:59pm
post #26 of 28

I use the homemade cake release and paint my pans with it, it works really well!

Darthburn Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Darthburn Posted 17 Aug 2009 , 9:12pm
post #27 of 28

I have a can of PAM for baking, a can of Crisco with flour, and the Wilton's spray and all work great for me. I was raised using shortening and flour so sometimes I do that too. Huh... I dunno. I just like the easy of spraying it right on.

Here's a follow up to the question... what kind of pans do you use? I use Wilton round pans but now use the things you wet and wrap aournd the pan. Flattest, smoothest cakes I have EVER baked! I was wondering if some pans offer better stick protection working with the PAM / Crisco?

veronica720 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
veronica720 Posted 17 Aug 2009 , 9:20pm
post #28 of 28

I use Bakers Joy it is spray with flour in it, I get mine at walmart. I used the crisco and oil for a while but my cakes would stick most of the time, so I switched. I don't use any parchment, just spray pan and pour in batter. My cakes never stick to the pan and the edges aren't crispy.

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%