Huge Silicone Mats

Decorating By tlreetz Updated 26 Aug 2009 , 4:58pm by tlreetz

tlreetz Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
tlreetz Posted 16 Aug 2009 , 11:47pm
post #1 of 16

Does anyone know where to find those huge silicone rolling mats that Christopher Garren uses?? The largest I can find is 24x36.

Any ideas??

15 replies
misabel99 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
misabel99 Posted 17 Aug 2009 , 1:38am
post #2 of 16

BUMP icon_smile.gif

Loucinda Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Loucinda Posted 17 Aug 2009 , 2:15am
post #3 of 16

There was a post about that mat on here awhile back (the first time he used it on the show) someone stopped the recording and looked up the name on the mat. Maybe you could just email him and ask? Most of the big name folks are really down to earth and are helpful.

-K8memphis Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
-K8memphis Posted 17 Aug 2009 , 2:21am
post #4 of 16

That was me stopped the recording but I can' t remember now the name of the stuff--umm it was some kind of shower liner material --like when you install the shower --not like the shower curtain.

It's pictured on this web page just scroll down a couple pictures

http://www.extremehowto.com/xh/article.asp?article_id=60342

tlreetz Posted 17 Aug 2009 , 2:24am
post #5 of 16

OOOOOOHHHHHHHH!!! Very cool!!! What a great idea!!! Sounds kind of strange that it would be okay to put fondant on and then eat it.....must be or how/why would he use it??

THANKS!!!

madgeowens Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
madgeowens Posted 17 Aug 2009 , 2:26am
post #6 of 16

I just use clear plastic you can buy by the yard at walmart...it works great, and cheap cheap cheap

tlreetz Posted 17 Aug 2009 , 2:37am
post #7 of 16

That is a wonderful idea, too!!! Does the fondant stick to it at all or does it come right off like silicone?

BlakesCakes Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
BlakesCakes Posted 17 Aug 2009 , 2:45am
post #8 of 16

I found this and it looks like what's in the article:

http://www.acehardwaresuperstore.com/oatey-shower-pan-liner-5x6-shower-bases-up-to-p-23869.html?ref=42

It's PVC (vinyl), not silicone.

I roll on the clear PVC from WalMart. I didn't do a price comparison, but I'd guess that the clear stuff is cheaper--and it has no markings on it that might come off.

I'm comfortable rolling on vinyl--some others have issues with it because of the phthalates that are used to make it supple.

A larger concern that I have is that I find it hard to roll out something that's 24x24 without the fondant drying out.............so I can't even imagine rolling out something much larger in one piece. I guess if the surface didn't matter............

Rae

tlreetz Posted 17 Aug 2009 , 2:52am
post #9 of 16

The clear PVC from Wal Mart....does fondant stick to it at all or does it come right off like it does on Silicone? Do you have to grease it?

BlakesCakes Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
BlakesCakes Posted 17 Aug 2009 , 2:59am
post #10 of 16

I swipe the clear vinyl with some crisco. I have the large blue Ateco silicone mat and I do the same thing--sometimes, fondant even sticks to that............

Rae

Loucinda Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Loucinda Posted 17 Aug 2009 , 3:20am
post #11 of 16

I use the same thing - you can buy it by the yard at Walmart. I just lightly wet the steel on my work table and lay the vinyl mat on it - keeps it from moving around while I am rolling. I also lightly grease the mat with shortning - works like a charm.

Texas_Rose Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Texas_Rose Posted 17 Aug 2009 , 3:23am
post #12 of 16

I dust the clear vinyl with cornstarch. I do the same with my silicone mat. Fondant sticks a lot less to the vinyl, and you can use a lot less cornstarch on it than the silicone.

I have a piece cut to the size of my countertop and I keep it there all the time. It's great for making tortillas too.

madgeowens Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
madgeowens Posted 17 Aug 2009 , 4:49am
post #13 of 16

I use to wipe it with crisco, but switched to corn starch and that works great. Sometimes you have to peel it off when using crisco, but with corn starch it slides right off..I thru my silicone mat out hahaha

mjnj Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
mjnj Posted 17 Aug 2009 , 5:04am
post #14 of 16

If you find a silicone fabricator in you area they can usually cut you some. They think it is weird, but you can get food grade silicone in almost any size. Just look in your yellow pages.

Gramms_Goodies Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Gramms_Goodies Posted 19 Aug 2009 , 4:32am
post #15 of 16

Wow, now see...these are the kinds of tips a newbie needs in order to make this more affordable icon_smile.gif great ideas everyone, thanks!!

tlreetz Posted 26 Aug 2009 , 4:58pm
post #16 of 16

So, I bought some last week at Wal-mart, super heaby dity stuff and it cost me just $5.97.....it works GREAT!!!! I did not use any crisco, cornstarch or powder sugar and it did not stick at all!!! I am SO happy!!!

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%