Why So Much?

Baking By cindy58 Updated 20 Aug 2009 , 4:54pm by Ladiesofthehouse

cindy58 Posted 16 Aug 2009 , 10:19pm
post #1 of 21

$187.50 for a used Wilton Seashell Comfort Grip cookie cutter! I have noticed certain retired cookie cutters of this type going for wild prices, but I can't figure out why.

These auctions ended today:

http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&item=300337970793&ssPageName=STRK:MEWAX:IT

http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&item=200371786301&ssPageName=STRK:MEWAX:IT

20 replies
ayerim979 Posted 16 Aug 2009 , 10:31pm
post #2 of 21

wow!!! that is alot of money, I myself have no clue why are they so much, the only thing I can think of is that there may be certain looks you can achieve with these cutters and you cannot find them anymore therefor they are pricy due to that ; thats just a guess.

But I would like to know as well

sugarandslice Posted 16 Aug 2009 , 10:54pm
post #3 of 21

Those are unbelieveable prices for cookie cutters. They're just cookie cutters. If anyone can explain to me why they're WORTH that much, I'll be surprised. icon_confused.gif
If you needed that particular shape you coiuld always make your own!
Seems like madness to pay that sort of money for a cookie cutter, could be the seller artificially inflating their own price by using another buyer id or getting their friends to bid it up. thumbsdown.gif

KawaiiCakeCook Posted 16 Aug 2009 , 10:59pm
post #4 of 21

I went to the auction after it had been closed so I couldn't look at it but I found out why they were so expensive. After I tried looking for those same cookie cutters in ebay, with no luck, I hopped over to google, no luck there either, then finally yahoo, nope. The are so expensive because of the basic and time honored rule of supply and demand. There is no supply of this little cookie cutter, you can't find it any more, therefore if there is a demand the seller can jack that price right up through the roof and someone will pay it. If suddenly chocolate became extinct, how much would you pay for godiva?

xstitcher Posted 16 Aug 2009 , 11:06pm
post #5 of 21

I would personally never pay that price for cutters, I'd make my own just like emcm51.

indydebi Posted 16 Aug 2009 , 11:46pm
post #6 of 21

Supply and demand. I've paid $75 for the wilton mini-tier wedding cake pan/pillar/pan set on ebay. They stopped making this $7.99 outfit years ago and I wanted it that bad.

Making your own cookie cutters is ok .... assuming you know how. I have no idea how. I'd have no idea where to even start. Don't tell me how easy it is. I have no idea how. It would be like telling a cake civilian, "Oh making a 5 tier fondant covered wedding cake is SO easy!! You can do it yourself!" I. Don't. Know. How.

So if I wanted a discontinued anything bad enough, I'll pay whatever I think it's worth.

And the sellers of obsolute cookie cutters and 5-tier cakes are glad there are people like me out there! thumbs_up.gif

cindy58 Posted 17 Aug 2009 , 12:13am
post #7 of 21
Quote:
Originally Posted by indydebi

So if I wanted a discontinued anything bad enough, I'll pay whatever I think it's worth.

And the sellers of obsolute cookie cutters and 5-tier cakes are glad there are people like me out there! thumbs_up.gif




Yes, I've paid more than seems sensible for things like that a time or two myself. : )

I just wondered what someone finds so attractive or useful about those specific cutters. Obviously you can find great shell cookie cutters for much less.

sugarandslice Posted 17 Aug 2009 , 2:47am
post #8 of 21

[quote]So if I wanted a discontinued anything bad enough, I'll pay whatever I think it's worth.

Quote:
Quote:



I think the key here is "worth". There's a difference between what someone will pay for something and what its inherent worth is.

But, of course, anyone who has shopped on Ebay has no doubt found themselves caught up in the excitement and wound up paying too much. I know I have! icon_biggrin.gif

And I agree with cindy58 that surely there would be a suitable substitute on the market.

I think $187 for a cookie cutter is madness and just goes to show that some people have more dollars and sense.


DianeLM Posted 17 Aug 2009 , 2:58am
post #9 of 21

Very well may be a collector. Perhaps these discontinued items will be worth thousands some day. Ya know... just like Beanie Babies. icon_smile.gif

cookiemookie Posted 17 Aug 2009 , 2:04pm
post #10 of 21

We better all leave notes to our loved ones NOT to sell our cutters at rummage sales when we are no longer here! icon_lol.gif


That shell is probably the only one I don't have! I would've sold it in a heartbeat so I could get more copper cutters!

jules5000 Posted 17 Aug 2009 , 3:28pm
post #11 of 21

Have you seen the article on making your own cookie cutters on here? I have seriously given thought to do a few myself. There are a few shapes that I have wanted and just don't have a way to get them myself, but could make them. If you have seen the cookie cutter they are selling, I bet you could make one yourself and no it would not be one of those comfort grip cutters, but you would have the shape. I bet there are ways to make them more comfortable also. You could buy some of the special baking clay that they use for jewelry and make a little snake and shape it around your cutter once it was made and then gently ease the little clay around the top gently pushing it on to the top and bake the clay as directed. I bet you would have your own comfort grip cutter. By the way I just got that idea as I was writing you. I wouldn't spend that kind of money on a cutter even if I had it.

cindy58 Posted 17 Aug 2009 , 6:04pm
post #12 of 21
Quote:
Originally Posted by cookiemookie

We better all leave notes to our loved ones NOT to sell our cutters at rummage sales when we are no longer here! icon_lol.gif

That shell is probably the only one I don't have! I would've sold it in a heartbeat so I could get more copper cutters!




Oh, I know! I have two sons who I doubt would appreciate my magnificent (to me) collection! I hope I might have a granddaughter one of these days who would enjoy them.

This kind of makes me take another look at the Comfort Grips though -- heirlooms in the making? They are bulky in size though. Wonder why Wilton stops making some of the good stuff. I think their discontinued plastic cookie stamps are better than the others -- the nice deep impressions give a better stamp. Plus, I like those character designs!

indydebi Posted 17 Aug 2009 , 6:09pm
post #13 of 21
Quote:
Originally Posted by cindy58

wonder why Wilton stops making some of the good stuff.



If they make good stuff, that lasts, then you don't have to buy more. But if they make crappy ones, that don't last very long and need replaced .... more income for them.

auntbeesbaking Posted 17 Aug 2009 , 6:38pm
post #14 of 21

What does the EUC stand for after the description of the cookie cutter? I was thinking the price was a typo, until I saw it was a winning bid and not a listed price! icon_surprised.gif Incredible! I woul've checked other sources for a shell cookie cutter, even if it was just the tin ones! Hmmmm...maybe I should look through all my cookie cutters and contact the winner! icon_wink.gif (Just kidding - I'm a cookie cutter junkie)

cindy58 Posted 17 Aug 2009 , 6:54pm
post #15 of 21
Quote:
Originally Posted by auntbeesbaking

What does the EUC stand for after the description of the cookie cutter? I was thinking the price was a typo, until I saw it was a winning bid and not a listed price! icon_surprised.gif Incredible! I woul've checked other sources for a shell cookie cutter, even if it was just the tin ones! Hmmmm...maybe I should look through all my cookie cutters and contact the winner! icon_wink.gif (Just kidding - I'm a cookie cutter junkie)




I think EUC stands for "Excellent Used Condition".

I'm a CCJ (Cookie Cutter Junkie) too!

Kiddiekakes Posted 17 Aug 2009 , 7:19pm
post #16 of 21

These are all discontinued cutters so quite expensive to get ahold of...I sold the comfy grip 3 tiered wedding cookie cutter and someone paid nearly $20.00.I was elated but I would have been shocked at $187.00...

Indydebi is right...You want it bad enough..You'll pay whatever price!

sugarlicious Posted 17 Aug 2009 , 7:40pm
post #17 of 21

My husband is working away(only gets home for a 10 day visit every 4 months), he called me last night and told me he went to a small town close to where he works and they were having yard sales, the whole community had the mainstreet using for their sales, he saw, "those cutter things you use" as he put it, lol, and haggled with the lady and got 50 cookie cutters for 5 dollars icon_biggrin.gif I am going for a visit in 2 weeks and can't wait to see these goodies!! He said they are all shapes and sizes, some there like a teddy bear that leaves the impression of the teddy bear in the cookie! What a hubby! icon_biggrin.gif

indydebi Posted 17 Aug 2009 , 7:58pm
post #18 of 21
Quote:
Originally Posted by sugarlicious

What a hubby! icon_biggrin.gif



AMEN!!! thumbs_up.gif

jules5000 Posted 17 Aug 2009 , 8:06pm
post #19 of 21

Well, I think that Wilton is always coming out with new toys to buy so I wouldn't see why they would make inferior ones so we would have to buy more. If we are buying something to replace something that didn't work well that is less money to buy a more expensive toy from them. about 3 years ago I bought one of those platform things at three levels to display a set of cakes I was making for a Children's Christmas party at church and it was so unstable that I was afraid that when anyone touched the table the cake was on that the cake would come tumbling down. after that party I took it back to Joanns and they gave me my money back with no hassle. I told them why I was bringing it back and they were very interested. I told them that I knew I had very firmly and correctly put it together because there was no way I was going to put my cakes on it unless I was sure it was put together correctly. I know that Wilton is still selling those cake stands that I took back and they may be great for lighter weight things then cakes, but for me I am waiting until I have the money to get the one I want.

3GCakes Posted 17 Aug 2009 , 8:09pm
post #20 of 21
Quote:
Originally Posted by jules5000

Well, I think that Wilton is always coming out with new toys to buy so I wouldn't see why they would make inferior ones so we would have to buy more. If we are buying something to replace something that didn't work well that is less money to buy a more expensive toy from them. about 3 years ago I bought one of those platform things at three levels to display a set of cakes I was making for a Children's Christmas party at church and it was so unstable that I was afraid that when anyone touched the table the cake was on that the cake would come tumbling down. after that party I took it back to Joanns and they gave me my money back with no hassle. I told them why I was bringing it back and they were very interested. I told them that I knew I had very firmly and correctly put it together because there was no way I was going to put my cakes on it unless I was sure it was put together correctly. I know that Wilton is still selling those cake stands that I took back and they may be great for lighter weight things then cakes, but for me I am waiting until I have the money to get the one I want.




I think I know which one you are talking about...it has styrofoam "plates"...I almost bought one on clearance at Michael's for like 9 bucks but I had to balk at the fact that it was mainly styrofoam!!

I do have the three-tier one that is metal with plastic plates from Wilton, though, and I use it quite a bit.

Ladiesofthehouse Posted 20 Aug 2009 , 4:54pm
post #21 of 21

I did a search of "completed listings" for Wilton Comfort Grip cookie cutters and what it shows is that all of the retired ones are going through the roof in prices.

I have a lot of experience with collectibles and vintage items and for some reason these cutters are the new must have. Once that happens there is no stopping the people that must have it. I get them in my shop from time to time--they are very easy to recognize. Their eyes are glazed over as their hands are writing a check for any amount you say as long as the item is theirs. It's insane.

A plain Diamond cutter went for $150+ recently. The same shape I can get at True Value for $1.49.

So it looks to me like these won't be used as actual cutters because the highest priced ones are still attached to their original cards. Apparently people are trying to complete collections of these dumb things LOL--amazing!

Moral of the story--get our carcasses out to the yard sales and look for retired Wilton Comfort Grip cutters because this kind of craze doesn't last very long.

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%