I Don't Think I Know What I'm Doing......

Decorating By rie3001 Updated 18 Aug 2009 , 2:42am by xstitcher

rie3001 Posted 16 Aug 2009 , 9:38pm
post #1 of 9

I think I may have"bitten off more than I can chew"....since I haven't ever really done any cake decorating. I am planning on making a cake, covering with fondant and then trying to make some farm animals out of fondant for the decorations. Right now I'm getting ready to do a test run of just covering a small cake with fondant. Should I freeze the cake first? I seem to recall a friend years back saying that she would freeze her cakes first. Then I was planning on covering with buttercream frosting before the fondant. Is this about right? Any help/suggestions would be great.

Thanks!

8 replies
ejwillen Posted 16 Aug 2009 , 9:50pm
post #2 of 9

You are on the right track. I personally crumb coat my cake and then freeze it for a couple of hours. Once I take it out, I either add a little more frosting or I spray it with water so the fondant can stick. If you have a filling besides frosting, your cake is more likely to slide around and cause a bump around the middle of your cake. Freezing is helpful because you can make sure the cake is stacked the way you want it before fondant is added.

Good Luck!

bravoe06 Posted 17 Aug 2009 , 2:24am
post #3 of 9

I would highly recommend Hello Cupcake to use alternates other than fondant for the animals maybe even gumpaI agree on freezing.Def crumb coat then refigerate then once its out frost again and cover with fondant. REMEMBER to lever your cakes!! Very important so they are leveled.If you use something other than frosting as a filling frost the cake going on top to make it stick a little more.Hope it helps!

sugarandslice Posted 17 Aug 2009 , 2:50am
post #4 of 9

I would suggest you look at the articles here and have a look on Youtube for videos on how to make gumpaste animals (or even how to make gumpaste!). I've only recently started cake decorating and I can't tell you how much I've learned from here and Youtube.
Good luck.

xstitcher Posted 17 Aug 2009 , 3:11am
post #5 of 9

After baking, cooling and trimming the cake you can then fill the cake if you plan on having filling in between the layers. Once you have filled the cake you will want to leave the cake overnight (or at least for several hours) so that it can settle. The reason you want to do this is in case there is any bulging issue then you can take care of before you ice the cake. If you want to crumb coat (very thin layer of icing (you should be able to see the cake under the layer of icing) that seals in the crumbs) the cake you can do that before icing. If you do opt to crumb coat let it set before applying your icing (it shouldn't take too long - 15 minutes should about do it).

After you ice the cake and get it as smooth as possible (if it is a crusting type icing you can use the viva paper towel method to help smooth the cake further) you can chill it in the freezer for several minutes. During this time you can roll out your fondant, then take out your cake, take a slightly damp paper towel and rub it gently over the icing (this will help get your fondant to stick to the icing) and then you can cover with your fondant.

There are a lot of tutorials here and on youtube that will show you how to accomplish this (icing, applying fondant etc.).

For your fondant/gum paste figures I would go to youtube and check out aine2's videos. It will help you get the general idea on how to make your figures (there are also other video's out there but I think her's are one of the best for this type of thing).

2 other youtube video's to check out are tonedna's and seriouscakes. All there of these ladies are members of CC as well.

HTH, let me know if I can help you further or clarify anything.

Good luck with the trial run.

rie3001 Posted 17 Aug 2009 , 2:43pm
post #6 of 9

Thanks for the help. The trial run did better than I thought I would. I did get one crack in the top but was able to fix it. Now on to the next step I guess. I am wanting to do a sheet cake, (rather - that's what my sister wants). I have a jelly roll pan and was thinking of doing the cake in this and doing 3 layers. Is this do able or should I just go buy a larger cake pan?

Again, thanks for the help!

ninatat Posted 17 Aug 2009 , 10:14pm
post #7 of 9

hi go to utube and watch edna't videos they are great

LittleLinda Posted 17 Aug 2009 , 10:30pm
post #8 of 9

Go to Michaels or AC Moore with a 40% coupon available on line and get an 11x18 cake pan. You'll find lots of times you'll make use of that pan. I think you will probably have a hard time layering the jelly roll cakes becausee you won't be able to pick them up without cracking or breaking ... unless you can freeze the top two layers first.

xstitcher Posted 18 Aug 2009 , 2:42am
post #9 of 9

I agree with LittleLinda about the jelly roll pans but if you can and think your going to be doing this often I would invest in Magic Line pans instead. They are the best especially when it comes to getting crisp (instead of rounded) edges on square/sheet pans. There are several places on line that sells them (including Amazon) and if you have cake supply stores in your area you might be able to get them there (not craft stores).

As for the crack was it in the cake or are you referring to the fondant?

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%