Fondant Help

Decorating By ufgirl00 Updated 18 Aug 2009 , 2:54am by ufgirl00

ufgirl00 Posted 16 Aug 2009 , 9:38pm
post #1 of 6

I made my first wedding cake last weekend and had some issues with the fondant on each layer. In some places, the fondant seemed to crack as it dried. What do you think could be the reason for that? Could I have rolled it too thin? Any suggestions how to make a better fondant covered cake next time? Thanks for the help!

5 replies
sweetcakesbydesign Posted 17 Aug 2009 , 5:34am
post #2 of 6

It could be too thin or too dry. What helps me when it's too dry is heating it up in the microwave for about 30 seconds and kneading it again.
HTH

-K8memphis Posted 17 Aug 2009 , 8:32am
post #3 of 6

Did you use store bought fondant? I'd recommend store bought

Did you roll it out on powder? try & use less

Some people use a big sheet of vinyl from the fabric store to roll it out on--you can use no powder (aka powdered sugar or cornstarch) this way.

Some ideas for you.

Mug-a-Bug Posted 17 Aug 2009 , 9:37pm
post #4 of 6

Was it MMF or store bought? If it was MMF then maybe you added too much powdered sugar. You should still have some leftover in the bag. You could also try microwaving for a few seconds or (my favorite), just add a few drops of water. It was probably just too dry to begin with.

Mug-a-Bug Posted 17 Aug 2009 , 9:38pm
post #5 of 6

Was it MMF or store bought? If it was MMF then maybe you added too much powdered sugar. You should still have some leftover in the bag. You could also try microwaving for a few seconds or (my favorite), just add a few drops of water. It was probably just too dry to begin with.

ufgirl00 Posted 18 Aug 2009 , 2:54am
post #6 of 6

I used satin ice. Im think i may have made it too thin. I think next time i will make it a bit thicker. Thanks for the tips!!

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%