How You Get This Idea Off The Ground ?

Decorating By catin Updated 17 Aug 2009 , 10:53am by Makeitmemorable

catin Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
catin Posted 16 Aug 2009 , 8:58pm
post #1 of 8

My friends are throwing a Mexican themed Summer Party this up coming weekend and I would like to surprise them with a cake that represents the theme .

My idea is to make a 3D worm drinking tequila wearing a sobrero , but I am confussed on how to get the worm to stay up straight . ... What would suggest ?

I thought of making the head and end out of cake and take foil or RKT covered in Fondant for the middle of the body ... But not sure ...

I would really appreciate suggestions

Thank you every much for all your help

Julie

7 replies
CutiePieCakes-Ontario Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
CutiePieCakes-Ontario Posted 16 Aug 2009 , 9:04pm
post #2 of 8

Right off the top of my head, I would suggest using a wire support (ie. coat hanger) covered in RKT, then in fondant. Don't let anyone eat it, though, as the wire isn't 'food friendly'. It's purely for the effect. I wouldn't use foil, because you won't get the slick look of a worm or the support a wire will give you.

I would secure it to the cake with dowels - they are food friendly, of course.

Good luck! Post pictures!!

catin Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
catin Posted 17 Aug 2009 , 1:21am
post #3 of 8

Thank you ... I never thought of using a hanger ... always thought of floral wire and such ...

bravoe06 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
bravoe06 Posted 17 Aug 2009 , 2:00am
post #4 of 8

Honestly the best way would be to bake a bundt cake and cut it in half creating the ridged worm effect and using a 6 in circle cake probably 3 tiered depending on how tall your bundt cake is or using the cake pan that has 4 individual cone looking pans as the head.Shape it as round as possible.

Attach a mini dount and dount whole on top for the sombrero crumb coating the whole thing and keeping it glued together then covering it in fondant if you want or buttercream the sombrero can be made of banana laffy taffy(cheaper) or gumpaste (dries faster) and score it with the back of a butter knife to make the straw effect.

Get back to me if you have anymore questions here or at http://sweet2oothtreats.blogspot.com/ Have fun!!

CutiePieCakes-Ontario Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
CutiePieCakes-Ontario Posted 17 Aug 2009 , 4:12am
post #5 of 8
Quote:
Originally Posted by catin

Thank you ... I never thought of using a hanger ... always thought of floral wire and such ...

Re-reading your original post, I thought you were going to put the worm onto a cake, not make it the cake. I would make the cake a 9X13 (or bigger depending on the number of servings needed), and cover it to look like a Mexican blanket with fringes. Then put the worm on it, sombero and all. A nice cheesy grin, too. Gotta have a happy worm!

OR

Make it just the worm's head, peeking up thru the hole of a shawl (which is the same basic pattern as the blanket, only with a slit for the head to go thru). Maybe a few 'bumps' under the shawl to represent the worm's body.

xstitcher Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
xstitcher Posted 17 Aug 2009 , 4:28am
post #6 of 8

I personally would do a round/square/sheet cake and dress it up with a Mexican theme and I would make all the accent pieces (worm/sombrero/glass) out of gum paste or some other medium and either place them on the cake itself or on the board.

There are some great Mexican theme cakes in the gallery to give you some ideas.

If your thinking of making a glass with tequila in it maybe this will give you some ideas:

http://www.cakecentral.com/modules.php?name=gallery&file=displayimage&pid=1195572

Here's one with a blanket like CutiePieCakes mentioned:
http://cakecentral.com/modules.php?name=gallery&file=displayimage&pid=329513

and yet some more:
http://cakecentral.com/modules.php?name=gallery&file=displayimage&pid=1284443
http://cakecentral.com/modules.php?name=gallery&file=displayimage&pid=1136793

-K8memphis Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
-K8memphis Posted 17 Aug 2009 , 8:27am
post #7 of 8

Yeah somehow the idea a large drunken worm to later slice up and eat is not especially appealing party food to moi--similar effect with the pregnant belly cakes--eww eww eww.

I mean people do it all the time so don't mind me

I'm just voting for a very small worm on a larger cake. icon_biggrin.gif

Hey--what about a tequilla bottle with a worm leaning up against it?
Or 'inside' it.

Makeitmemorable Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Makeitmemorable Posted 17 Aug 2009 , 10:53am
post #8 of 8
Quote:
Originally Posted by K8memphis-

Hey--what about a tequilla bottle with a worm leaning up against it?
Or 'inside' it.

Love this idea icon_eek.gif - or to add to this you could make the worm look like it was escaping from the top of the bottle - you could put a really comic looking face on it! Have the bottle look like it just spilled over - have some worms slip slidding down a tequila river - okay I'm going now tapedshut.gif

Just a follow on thought icon_rolleyes.gif

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%