Powedered Food Colors

Decorating By chanda Updated 18 Aug 2009 , 1:58am by cylstrial

chanda Posted 16 Aug 2009 , 8:52pm
post #1 of 5

Hi, Just want to know what those food colors are called that look like a box of pastels....

4 replies
cylstrial Posted 16 Aug 2009 , 8:58pm
post #2 of 5

I think you can only use those in buttercream.

bravoe06 Posted 17 Aug 2009 , 2:48am
post #3 of 5

There are two kinds Luster dust the which is shiny and awesome for wedding cakes (which now come in spray cans) and petal dust.
They are used for gumpaste and fondant flowers.It make the colors more vibrant and life like.I usually use the pedal dust and then luster (pearl) to make them look nice.I actually just used the gold luster dust( all edible) for some bamboo on a wedding cake icon_smile.gif Hope that helped.BTW they usually run about $3.50 each .They also have edible glitter called pixie dust and disco ball icon_smile.gif

HowCoolGomo1 Posted 17 Aug 2009 , 3:30pm
post #4 of 5

I think I own what you're talking about. The colors are coarser than petal, luster dusts, etc.

The brand I find most commonly are from CK. I bought most on line, the link will get deleted. I have found them at my local cake supply store.

I bought them for dark colored buttercream icing, but now I use them to color white chocolate.

cylstrial Posted 18 Aug 2009 , 1:58am
post #5 of 5

I was thinking about something else totally different. Sorry about that!

Quote by @%username% on %date%