3D Dora Cake How To?

Decorating By Suewillo Updated 17 Aug 2009 , 8:51pm by Suewillo

Suewillo Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Suewillo Posted 16 Aug 2009 , 7:39pm
post #1 of 12

Well friends here I am again seeking your help with a cake. I love this forum. I am attaching my drawing of what I want the cake to look like, so you will understand what I want to do.
I will be making a 3D Dora cake for my granddaughter's b-day in Oct and have come up with an idea how I would like it. My problem is I can't find one like this that has been done so I am asking for help with how to construct this cake. I did a spiderman for my grandson and I made the head out of RKT but you can't let it sit out for too long because the RKT falls apart with the heat.
Any idea's and help would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks Sue

11 replies
Suewillo Posted 16 Aug 2009 , 8:39pm
post #2 of 12

Sorry my pic didn't post. Trying again.

Suewillo Posted 17 Aug 2009 , 2:16am
post #3 of 12

Well here I go trying to upload the pic? Hope you can see it to give me the help I need with this cake.
thanks everyone
Sue
LL

tenleysmommy Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
tenleysmommy Posted 17 Aug 2009 , 2:32am
post #4 of 12

I saw a cake like this on flickr, I wrote the maker and haven't heard anything back.I hope you can get some answers.Sorry I am no helpicon_sad.gif

Suewillo Posted 17 Aug 2009 , 2:57am
post #5 of 12

thanks, if you do hear from the person who did the cake on flicker I would love to know how they did it. I haven't found it yet on flicker.

Thanks

cavette Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
cavette Posted 17 Aug 2009 , 2:58am
post #6 of 12

I was thinking maybe you should make a sheet cake and a make gumpaste arms and hands and feet then make a RKT head or maybe use styrofoam! Just a thought....... not sure if that will help! I went to fliker and typed in dora cakes on the 12th page it was a cake that might help you! hope that helps

Suewillo Posted 17 Aug 2009 , 3:01am
post #7 of 12

thanks Cavette. She is a really big Dora. But they don't have how too's on there.

cupcakeryonline Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
cupcakeryonline Posted 17 Aug 2009 , 4:23am
post #8 of 12

Hi,

I finished a tiered Dora cake this weekend with a 6inch Dora topper. Ihad trouble the head because it is so big. To make it lighter, I ended up making a gumpaste "mold"on the back of an ice cream scooper for her face and then another mold in dark brown. Then I stuck the "face mask" on the front of a RKT ball and the brown on the back and then made her a "wig" out of fondant. This made the head way lighter and still super smooth (without the usual RKT bumps underneath. I would definitely make the arms and legs out of gumpaste with wire inside for stability and so you can shape them. The body I would sculpt out of some stacked sheets. Just some ideas.

Have fun...I'm sure your granddaughter will love it!

NatalieMarie Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
NatalieMarie Posted 17 Aug 2009 , 10:20am
post #9 of 12

Hi,

I love doing 3D cakes, they are my favourite! Good luck with this one!

I made a Piglet cake abit like this, check my photos. I would make the body, torso, upper arms and head out of cake (or you could make the head out of RKT).

First off, make a template from baking parchment that you can lay on the flat cakes to begin to get the shape you want. I'd carve the body from a sheet cake, and depending on how long the dress will be, cut about a 3 to 4 inch wedge from the sheet cake and place it on top of one side and this can be your torso, or you could bake a small square cake, halve it and do the same thing.

If you're not making the head out of RKT, I might be tempted to make the head out the of football tin that wilton do? It would be more to the shape of Dora's head that the ball tin.

Make the arms and legs out of gumpaste, you could always put some thick gauge florist wire through the arms to give them more support.

To support the head, insert some dowel rods or straws through the torso (about 3 will do) and anchor the head to the body with royal icing.

I hope this gives you some ideas to play around with.

anabelz01 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
anabelz01 Posted 17 Aug 2009 , 11:08am
post #10 of 12

Hi, I may have found the flickr pic the other pster was refering to... thought i'd post it for you as it may help!

Anna icon_smile.gif

PS Had no end of problems posting pics lately so incase it doesn't work here is the link....

http://www.flickr.com/photos/chocolatemoosecakes/3445006656/
LL

Suewillo Posted 17 Aug 2009 , 3:54pm
post #11 of 12

Thanks Anna the pic came through. I have had problems posting pic's to not sure what has changed. I thought I had a different idea for this cake because there wasn't one like this here on CC. I didn't think about checking flicker to see if there were any there.
Don't know what I would do without CC forum. There is always lots of help and ideas.
Thanks guys and gals for alway being there.

Sue

Suewillo Posted 17 Aug 2009 , 8:51pm
post #12 of 12

Wow thanks for all the idea's. I have lots to think about as I plan the best way to make this cake.

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%