Wilton Giant Cupcake Disaster X3

Decorating By chilicat57 Updated 18 Aug 2009 , 10:22pm by chilicat57

chilicat57 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
chilicat57 Posted 16 Aug 2009 , 5:50pm
post #1 of 22

OK I know I saw ideas on how to get this thing to bake right but just can't find them again so I thought I would post this question once again ... How the H#!! do you get this thing to bake right?!?!?

I have tried the following:
1. Used the recipe on the Wilton Cupcake Pan and followed the directions to the letter - result: top of the cupcake burned while the bottom was STILL raw in the center

2. Bought box cake mix, put even amounts in both sides and baked at 325 - result: top not burned but WAY over down, bottom again not done

3. Used a tried and true cake recipe (I have made this over the past 10 years with no problems), put 4 cups in the bottom and 3 cups in top, tried baking the bottom for 10 minutes then added the batter to the top portion of the pan - result: top again was over baked and so much large than the bottom. The bottom was baked crispy on the outside and a bit under done on the inside & when cooled the bottom had shrunk considerably.

So if anyone can tell me how to get this to work I would love it!!! I am about ready to beat this pan with a club or get a welder and take the two pans a part to bake separately. It seemed like such a good idea when I bought it and I never dreamed it would be my nemesis! I have seen these done, I know it can work, unless everyone is just decorating thier burned cakes and taking a picture *LOL*

I am a veteran cake/cupcake baker so I know my recipes work ... help me Mr or Ms Wizard!!! icon_mad.gif

21 replies
gramofgwen Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
gramofgwen Posted 16 Aug 2009 , 6:12pm
post #2 of 22

What about baking each part separately? You'll only be filling one side of the pan at a time, but it might be worth the extra oven time. HTH icon_biggrin.gif

iownajane Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
iownajane Posted 16 Aug 2009 , 6:14pm
post #3 of 22

I have one too...haven't used it yet...because of all the "adverse" comments,as you mentioned....
You're right...there WAS a discussion SOMEWHERE about doing the top and bottom separately...like the pp mentioned...but I don't know if it was on C.C.,or if I "googled" it...would love to know too,cause of course I can't remember exactly... icon_confused.gif

chilicat57 Posted 16 Aug 2009 , 6:19pm
post #4 of 22

I am being stubborn ... I figure if they made this pan as one it should work! I am going to try it done separately today but I think if Wilton released a pan like this, then it should have been tested and it should work gosh darn it!

I have even written Wilton and they said to use the recipe that came with the pan, which was the first one I used. I have a thermometer in my oven so I know everything was at the correct temp. If I could figure out a way to get the swirl top to stand up alone I would have someone weld them apart!

blu_canary Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
blu_canary Posted 16 Aug 2009 , 6:47pm
post #5 of 22

I wonder why the Wilton one isn't working? I have the Nordic Ware pan and used it many, many times before I started "doing cakes". I wonder if it would work now, now that I know more?

Now, I would be inclined to put a flower nail in the bottom part, reduce my baking temp, etc. I wonder if that would mess it up?

I'm assuming the pans are essentially the same. They look the same, anyway. I've used both mix (non-extended---like I said, I hadn't seen the light yet icon_smile.gif ) and scratch with no problems. Just slopped it in and then baked at 350F till it looked done. Both sides were great.

Maybe the key is acting like you know nothing? Bake like you would have before you knew the tricks? Slop it in and crank up the heat?

I'm sorry you are having such a hard time, though! It's an adorable cake when done!

I know I'm grasping at straws, but good luck!!

havnfun Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
havnfun Posted 16 Aug 2009 , 7:05pm
post #6 of 22

You need to use a canolli form as a heat core in the base cake. Fill both pans as directed and bake for 20-25 mins. then add the greased (metal) canolli form to the bigger base cake. I have done it and it works great. Hope this helps.

Susans53 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Susans53 Posted 16 Aug 2009 , 7:14pm
post #7 of 22

I feel your pain......that said, I use mine by baking each part separately and at a lower temp. It just takes so long. I am going to try the cannolli mold the next time.

chilicat57 Posted 16 Aug 2009 , 7:43pm
post #8 of 22

Canolli form huh ... I will have to try that. Do I need to spray it with Pam or anything? Then remove it after it has cooled or after about 10-15 mins?

I have tried everything so what is one more attempt ... thanks!

CutiePieCakes-Ontario Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
CutiePieCakes-Ontario Posted 16 Aug 2009 , 9:47pm
post #9 of 22

Wilton sells a baking core - like a canolli form, but with a lip at the wide end to help it from sinking (I think). Try one of those. I haven't baked the giant cupcake yet, but I have done several 1/2 soccer balls and it worked much better with the core than without it.

I wouldn't use a flower nail on this, simply because the 'bottom' (while cooking) is a point (the 'top' of the cupcake), so you may lose the integrity of the point. (The flower nail works great with square 2" cakes.) The core is a better choice, IMHO. Just remember to coat it like a pan, put batter inside it as well, and when it's done and cooled, use the cake baked inside it to fill the hole it made. Don't try to take it out too soon, or your top may fall apart. That happened with my first attempt using the core in my 1/2 soccer ball. My fault, not the core's.

Good luck!

shalderman Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
shalderman Posted 16 Aug 2009 , 11:40pm
post #10 of 22

When I bake in this pan I do 325 degrees, put more batter in the bottom portion than the top and I take my 6" round cake pan, fill it with an inch of water and set the top part of the cupcake pan into it (that pointy part). Its not a perfect method but it cooks more evenly.

chilicat57 Posted 17 Aug 2009 , 2:14am
post #11 of 22

So here is a picture of my over baked cupcake ... the edges fell off of the top as they were just too crisp so it looks a bit top heavy. At least this one I could put together. My 10 yo daughter helped with the decorating and we use a grape for the cherry on top ... just for picture purposes icon_biggrin.gif

I tried the candy melts in the pan for the bottom, LOVE how that works and will do that from now on.

Thank you all for all the help ... I will get a canolli round or a core and try it once again icon_smile.gif
LL

adree313 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
adree313 Posted 17 Aug 2009 , 5:34pm
post #12 of 22

can you explain how you did the candy melts on bottom?? i love how smooth and perfect it looks.

i would try to offer any help on your pan troubles (since i've made about 4 in a month's time), but truth be told, i've never had any problems with it. maybe it's like blu_canary said... act like you don't know any tricks. i literally just threw mine together (just a plain mix), poured it in, and baked it off. no problems with any of them. wish i could be of more help icon_sad.gif

cakefairy03 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
cakefairy03 Posted 17 Aug 2009 , 5:53pm
post #13 of 22

I have the same problems as you, so I can't offer any advice. Sorry! But you're decorated cake looks great! please share how you did the candy melts, or where else I could find instructions! Thank you and GL in the future!

chilicat57 Posted 17 Aug 2009 , 11:12pm
post #14 of 22

Here is the link for the liner ... so simple it is scary *LOL* thumbs_up.gif

http://ohsugarcakes.blogspot.com/2009/03/candy-liner-for-giant-cupcake.html

adree313 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
adree313 Posted 17 Aug 2009 , 11:52pm
post #15 of 22

awesome! thanks so much!

blu_canary Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
blu_canary Posted 18 Aug 2009 , 2:05pm
post #16 of 22

Ok,

a) My pan is Wilton. Don't know why I thought it was Nordic Ware other than my other shaped pans are.

b) I baked one last night just to see if I was crazy. Baked sans core, but did turn the heat down to 325F.

c) I realized, the only cakes I've ever baked in it have been chocolate...so, maybe batter density/moisture makes some difference? Dunno.

d) I love, love, love the candy liner!!! I wish I had seen that before I baked my current cupcake! My liner turned out ok...did the hot knife thing in stripes on the buttercream to make it look like fluted paper. But nowhere as gorgeous as the candymelts. Yours looks great!

cakefairy03 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
cakefairy03 Posted 18 Aug 2009 , 2:27pm
post #17 of 22

Thanks so much for sharing the link for the candy melts. Can't wait to try it! I think I will also try her idea of using the 4" cakes for the bottom instead of using the cupcake pan. Have you tried that method? It might turn out better (and easier) for you. Good luck!

Kimmers971 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Kimmers971 Posted 18 Aug 2009 , 3:04pm
post #18 of 22

I've used mine a few times and just turned the temp down to 300 and let it bake longer. It's worked for me (so far)!

havnfun Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
havnfun Posted 18 Aug 2009 , 4:18pm
post #19 of 22

The thing with the cannolli form compared to the heat core is it takes out less cake. The hole is smaller. You do still have to grease it.

Kandy4283 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Kandy4283 Posted 18 Aug 2009 , 4:31pm
post #20 of 22

I love the candy liner! How amazing and easy!! Thanks so much! Sorry I cannot help on the rest but thanks for your advise! Your amazing!! icon_cool.gif

sadsmile Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
sadsmile Posted 18 Aug 2009 , 4:54pm
post #21 of 22

I have always used an flower nail and sprayed and floured it and put it down in the pan flat side down and spike standing up and poured the cake batter in over that. It acts like a heating core and only leaves a small hole. Bake 320-325 and it comes out perfect for me.

chilicat57 Posted 18 Aug 2009 , 10:22pm
post #22 of 22

Thanks everyone for all the great words of wisdom .... I am on a mission to get this pan to work right so I will be trying them all and reporting back. As for the cake flavor .. I have tried, white, chocolate, lemon all with less than satisfactory results.

I am thinking the 2-4" rounds would work great as you do have to trim the bottom. I was even thinking it would be cute to fill with mini cupcakes as a center piece icon_smile.gif

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%