Newbie Needs Help With Child's Birthday Cake

Decorating By babycakes1 Updated 16 Aug 2009 , 6:00pm by kakeladi

babycakes1 Posted 16 Aug 2009 , 4:47pm
post #1 of 4

I'm making a castle cake for my godchild for a party of 40. I was planning on doing 2 tiers. I was thinking about one layer of vanilla and one layer of chocolate cake with buttercream icing on both.
1. Can someone recommend a great chocolate cake recipe?

2. If I make a chocolate buttercream for that layer, can it be colored?

3. How many tiers do I need for a party of 40? I have round pans - 6, 8, 10, and 12.

I am open to ALL suggestions!

3 replies
cherrycakes Posted 16 Aug 2009 , 5:18pm
post #2 of 4

I'll answer your first question - try Amazing Chocolate WASC cake -you can find it in the recipes. It is delicious!

FullHouse Posted 16 Aug 2009 , 5:46pm
post #3 of 4

#1: WASC variations are great. If looking for scratch google for Dorie Greenspans Devils Food cake, very good. Also check search the forum, there is a recent thread for chocolate cake recipes
#2: Chocolate buttercream can only be colored varying depths of brown and black
#3: Serving size chart & batter amounts for party cake http://www.wilton.com/cakes/making-cakes/baking-party-cake-2-inch-pans.cfm

HTH. Enjoy.

kakeladi Posted 16 Aug 2009 , 6:00pm
post #4 of 4

Using cake mixes one gets an average of 15-20 servings from each. That same amount of batter will give you 24 cupcakes.
The *original* WASC recipe can be used with any cake mix flavor.
For 40 servings I suggest you use the 10" and 6" pans - baking 2 of each size for a cake with a 10x4" and 6x4" tier.
ONe cake mix fills each 10" pan OR one batch of my *original* WASC will give you one layer of both the 10" and 6" - thus you would use 2 cake mixes plus the other ingredients as listed.
A 10x4 and 6x4 will yield plenty of cake for your affair icon_smile.gif

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%