Cleaning A "new" Used Stand Mixer

Decorating By newbaker1357 Updated 17 Aug 2009 , 1:03pm by percussiongrrl

newbaker1357 Posted 16 Aug 2009 , 4:22pm
post #1 of 8

My hubby bought me a kitchenaid stand mixer with 2 bowls at a yard sale for $15. He checked to make sure it worked before he got it. I emailed the company about getting more attachments for it. They replied that it was made sometime between 1961 and 1977 and the only thing they had was a bowl. I knew it was an older model, I didn't expect one from the 60s. My question is how do I clean it? I have went around it with toothpicks and gotten out most of the stuff that was in and around it. I have washed the bowls. Hubby says to use the steamer and steam anything else off of and in it that I may have missed. Can I use that without messing it up? It has been taken care of but needed to be cleaned good. Thanks!

7 replies
newbaker1357 Posted 16 Aug 2009 , 11:45pm
post #2 of 8

PinkZiab Posted 17 Aug 2009 , 1:05am
post #3 of 8

I think the steam cleaning would be a good idea... other than that I think you're set. The older model kitchen aids are the BEST... real workhorses! Much better than the crap produced under the KA name today.

MissCathcart Posted 17 Aug 2009 , 1:30am
post #4 of 8

If the parts are discontinued, I bet you can find some on eBay. Just make sure you check your model number against the part. You might even be able to use the new Beater Blade. Let me see if I can find the company. They'll be able to tell you if it would fit your cute 1960's Kitchenaid.

Here's the website:

If you have any questions they'll be glad to help. They were very prompt, and helpful to me.

A Kitchenaid that old may need oiling. Google could have some good ideas on that.

Steam cleaning sounds great, but I'd be careful about a lot of moisture dripping into the motor. Just watch it closely.

percussiongrrl Posted 17 Aug 2009 , 1:50am
post #5 of 8

I also have an old KitchenAid and it's AMAZING. If you look on the back part of the band around the top, it will probably say "Hobart" somewhere back there. These are great mixers...mine has NEVER let me down and has handled everything from batter to icing to fondant to bread dough. When I cleaned mine up, I just used good hot soapy water, a washcloth, and a toothbrush.

Attachments should still work with it, as I contacted KA about my mixer and was told anything fitting a "classic" kitchen aid would also fit my mixer. That being said, I haven't purchased anything except a pour shield for my bowl.

I hope you're as happy with your KA as I am with mine! I love Gustav (my mixer!) and plan on keeping him for a long time!

percussiongrrl Posted 17 Aug 2009 , 1:50am
post #6 of 8

Gosh darn double post....

newbaker1357 Posted 17 Aug 2009 , 11:32am
post #7 of 8

The model is a 4C and the reply I got from kitchenaid said that none of their accesories would fit it except for the stainless bowl which was $44. I didn't tell them I got the mixer, stainless bowl, and glass bowl for $15. I know they have some of the same mixers and parts on ebay if anyone is interested. Thanks for all your replies. I will try the steamer and I will be very careful because I am so excited with it and can't wait to do fondant.

percussiongrrl Posted 17 Aug 2009 , 1:03pm
post #8 of 8

There are folks as kithchenaid as we are about cakes, and they have a forum over at You might pop over there and check in to getting more parts and accessories if you need to. This particular thread is how I found out more about my vintage kitchen aid:

Quote by @%username% on %date%