Ganache......?????

Decorating By Angela93 Updated 20 Aug 2009 , 1:55pm by mcdonald

Angela93 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Angela93 Posted 16 Aug 2009 , 4:00pm
post #1 of 24

Ok....I've heard of Ganache about a million times but can someone please tell me what it is? and how its used? and a good recipe so i can try it! thanks!!!!

i love ccicon_smile.gif

23 replies
NatalieMarie Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
NatalieMarie Posted 16 Aug 2009 , 5:05pm
post #2 of 24

Gosh, where do I start? You can cover cakes with Ganache, use it instead of buttercream under your fondant, use it to fill your cake...it's really quite versatile stuff.

You can make either white or dark ganache here are the recipes I use that I got from the Planet Cake book.

White Ganache
1.3 kg (3lb) white chocolate finely chopped
450ml (16 fl oz) single cream
Dark Ganache
1.2kg (2lb 10oz) dark chocolate finely chopped
600ml (21fl oz) single cream

Put the chocolate pieces in a large bowl.
Put the cream in a saucepan and bring it to just boiling point. Pour the cream over the chopped chocolate and mix with a hand whisk until the ganache is smooth. Do not use an electric whisk as you will create too many air bubbles in the ganache
Allow to cool completely and then leave to set overnight.

Be careful not to overboil your cream as it will cause the cream to curdle and when you add it to your chocolate the fats will separate from the ganache and you'll get an oily mess on the top.

You can keep ganache in the fridge for about a week as long as your cream has a use by date of a week.

When you take your ganache out of the fridge, allow it to reach room temperature before using it.

Hope this helps.

Angela93 Posted 17 Aug 2009 , 3:35pm
post #3 of 24

wow thanks!!!! and its so easy to make!!!! thats the best particon_smile.gif i tend to turn away from recipes with too many ingredients. thats bad, i know icon_rolleyes.gif

Mug-a-Bug Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Mug-a-Bug Posted 17 Aug 2009 , 9:21pm
post #4 of 24

Angela, I'm the same way!! I've only made MMF because all the other recipes have too many ingredients icon_redface.gif

Oh well, seems to be making my life easier. Maybe I'll try this ganache stuff icon_smile.gif

Can someone tell me how to pronounce "ganache"? Thanks cakies.

varika Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
varika Posted 17 Aug 2009 , 9:33pm
post #5 of 24
Quote:
Originally Posted by SinCityCakes

guh-NAHSH

http://dictionary.reference.com/browse/ganache

Rylan Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Rylan Posted 17 Aug 2009 , 9:36pm
post #6 of 24

Ganache is pronounced Gah-nosh.

I prefer to use a 2:1 (chocolate:cream) ratio for semisweet chocolate.

varika Posted 17 Aug 2009 , 9:37pm
post #7 of 24
Quote:
Originally Posted by SinCityCakes

guh-NAHSH

http://dictionary.reference.com/browse/ganache

sugarandslice Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
sugarandslice Posted 17 Aug 2009 , 9:40pm
post #8 of 24

I've recently used the Planet Cake recipe for dark choc ganache and love it! I did find though that it was still a bit stiff and difficult to spread on my cake when it was at room temp. I heated it slightly in short bursts in the microwave until it was the consistency of peanut butter.
If you're using it to cover your cake under fondant then you should let it set (preferably overnight) then smooth it with a hot knife. You can get it super smooth this way then you'll only need a very thin layer of fondant.
Overall, ganache rocks! and seems to go with just about any cake flavour.
Enjoy!!

varika Posted 17 Aug 2009 , 9:41pm
post #9 of 24

Sorry about the triple post, here! I guess my 'net connection hiccupped.

Rylan Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Rylan Posted 18 Aug 2009 , 3:26am
post #10 of 24

Varika has a better way to type the pronunciation.

Mug-a-Bug Posted 18 Aug 2009 , 1:35pm
post #11 of 24

Thanks. I was thinking it was "ga-noch-ay". icon_redface.gif

Makeitmemorable Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Makeitmemorable Posted 18 Aug 2009 , 2:08pm
post #12 of 24

If you are using the ganache under a cake, the consistency should be like margarine - just so you know if you have it mixed right.

I use it on all my cakes.

Makeitmemorable Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Makeitmemorable Posted 18 Aug 2009 , 2:10pm
post #13 of 24

If you are using the ganache under a cake, the consistency should be like margarine - just so you know if you have it mixed right.

I use it on all my cakes.

megmarie Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
megmarie Posted 18 Aug 2009 , 2:23pm
post #14 of 24

I didn't know what it was either! I just made it the other day for my brothers birthday. I made a chocolate cake with PB ganache on the top, and kit kats all around the outside of the cake.....my diabetic grandmother had 2 pieces I thought she was going to die. ....Def something that will be a staple with my cakes from now on!

softgreenside Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
softgreenside Posted 18 Aug 2009 , 3:21pm
post #15 of 24

I love using Chocolate Ganache. It's so yummy and i get so many compliments on it when it's in a cupcake or a filling in a cake!

Mug-a-Bug Posted 18 Aug 2009 , 6:32pm
post #16 of 24

I can't wait to try this!!

Mickey17 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Mickey17 Posted 18 Aug 2009 , 7:19pm
post #17 of 24

For those of you that use Ganache, how do you deal with the extra expense? IT is expensive to buy the chocolate, especiallly if you are looking for better than Nestle chocolate chips. Do you just charge more? I have been finding that using Ganache increases my input costs by about 50% which is not insignificant.

2SchnauzerLady Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
2SchnauzerLady Posted 18 Aug 2009 , 7:26pm
post #18 of 24

OOO Megmarie! PB ganache - Yum - sounds like my recipe for what my brother called "Wash it Down with A Quart of Insulin PB Fudge"!

KitchenKat Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
KitchenKat Posted 19 Aug 2009 , 12:27am
post #19 of 24
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mickey17

For those of you that use Ganache, how do you deal with the extra expense? IT is expensive to buy the chocolate, especiallly if you are looking for better than Nestle chocolate chips. Do you just charge more? I have been finding that using Ganache increases my input costs by about 50% which is not insignificant.

If you're making cakes as a business then the expense definitely gets passed on to your clients. Higher costs = higher selling price. If you're making it for family and friends...welll... I guess you'd have to *love* them a lot to be willing to spend so much for a cake! icon_biggrin.gif

I've always used ganache and where I was living before, I could get Belgian chocolate relatively cheap - $15 for 5lbs. It wasn't so much of an issue then. Where I live now, chocolate is uber expensive. It's double the price! So now for ganache under fondant, I use compound chocolate (similar to candy melts). There's no difference in performance but he taste is definitely not as great as ganache made from real chocolate. It's still yummy though! However for fillings and stand alone milk or semi-sweet ganache frosting, I still use the real stuff.

Edited: I checked my records and it was $15/5 lbs, not $15/4 as I first wrote.

sugarandslice Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
sugarandslice Posted 19 Aug 2009 , 2:22am
post #20 of 24

For those of you that use Ganache, how do you deal with the extra expense?

I don't make cakes professionally so it's not such an issue. I also use compound or cooking chocolate. I also only use a thin layer as a filling and to cover my cakes as I don't want the chocolate to completely overpower the taste of my cake. I find I can use about half what is recommended in the Planet Cake book for instance.
I guess it's a price I'm willing to pay for the lovely taste, texture and smooth, smooth finish you get with ganache.

Angela93 Posted 20 Aug 2009 , 12:47pm
post #21 of 24

Does Ganache crust? does the viva method work on it?

Carriemyvoice Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Carriemyvoice Posted 20 Aug 2009 , 1:05pm
post #22 of 24

Okay, I get that I can use it as a filling and under fondant but can I use it just like a BC or instead of BC without covering it in fondant? Will it have a BC texture?

softgreenside Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
softgreenside Posted 20 Aug 2009 , 1:39pm
post #23 of 24

I personally have found Ganache to go on the cake pretty thick and hardens pretty quickly. I never had any kind of crusting with it. Unsure about anyone else.

mcdonald Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
mcdonald Posted 20 Aug 2009 , 1:55pm
post #24 of 24

I have only used ganache twice and I loved it both times. I used it to pour over white buttercream and let it drip over the sides of the cake... so yummy and so rich!!

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%