France/us Wedding Cake

Decorating By DefyGravity Updated 19 Aug 2009 , 10:02pm by DefyGravity

DefyGravity Posted 16 Aug 2009 , 3:08pm
post #1 of 5

One of my favorite friends is engaged to a Frenchie. The wedding was slated for 2011, but for certain reasons (no, not a baby) they decided to get married next month, but still plan the big fancy pants wedding 2 years from now.

I offered to make their elopement cake as a gift, which my friend is really excited about. She doesn't want it to be traditional at all, and it doesn't have to match or reflect anything about the big wedding they're planning.

I thought about making a simple 2 tier cake with fondant accents around it of things that represent them, like a French and American flag, MSU logo (where they met) and things like that to make it fun, but I also don't want it to be tacky.

They're really easygoing, fun people and love to make fun of French and American stereotypes, so really, anything goes. Berets, striped shirts, cigarettes are all a-okay! haha

If anyone has any clever ideas of how to blend America and France in a really cute way, I'd love to hear it!

Thanks guys!

4 replies
CutiePieCakes-Ontario Posted 16 Aug 2009 , 11:57pm
post #2 of 5

How about some FRENCH FRIES! icon_lol.gif

DefyGravity Posted 18 Aug 2009 , 1:45pm
post #3 of 5

Bump! I talked to my friend and she wants something involving a globe, so now I'm thinking of baking in a Pyrex bowl and covering in blue fondant, and then cutting out green fondant continents... Maybe with a path connecting Michigan to Paris... Hmmm...

Any other ideas?

JGMB Posted 18 Aug 2009 , 4:22pm
post #4 of 5

All I'm coming up with is that both national flags are red, white and blue. So, is there a way to elongate the French flag coming out of that country like a path, ditto with the US one, then somehow morphing them together in the middle?

DefyGravity Posted 19 Aug 2009 , 10:02pm
post #5 of 5
Quote:
Originally Posted by JGMB

All I'm coming up with is that both national flags are red, white and blue. So, is there a way to elongate the French flag coming out of that country like a path, ditto with the US one, then somehow morphing them together in the middle?

I really like this idea. My new idea is to do a small 2 tier cake (like 8" and 6") and do the globe idea I talked about earlier, but in old world map colors, like browns, reds, and golds. I like your idea of connecting them, so maybe I could do that with really deep blue and red, plus the white of course. I have an idea, but I need to play around with some fondant and see how well it would actually work.

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%