Would Like To Learn So How To Get Started?

Decorating By Patsl Updated 16 Aug 2009 , 9:12pm by Uniqueask

Patsl Posted 16 Aug 2009 , 3:07pm
post #1 of 7

Hi for the last couple of months I have been wanting to take a class at a Hobby Lobby. They seem to fill up so quickly and now I have to wait to take one in October. Is there any way to get started earlier or should i just wait another month and a half? Any guidance is appreciated.

6 replies
Mug-a-Bug Posted 16 Aug 2009 , 4:11pm
post #2 of 7

I'm not a big fan of the classes. You can learn a lot on your own. I would go to HL and purchase the course one instruction book and kit and do your own kitchen course. I had a really bad instructor and learned mostly from the book anyway. I would also suggest checking out tonedna's youtube videos. (Just search tonedna). That will bring up lots of instructional videos. You can also purchase dvds from sugarshack (sugaredproductions.com). I haven't bought them myself, but her cakes are amazing and everyone raves about her dvds. And of course ask lots of questions on this forum icon_smile.gif Good luck.

Texas_Rose Posted 16 Aug 2009 , 4:34pm
post #3 of 7

I've never taken a class. I've always wanted to, but first my work schedule got in the way, then I could never bear to leave my babies with a sitter to go. So far I've been doing all right without a class icon_biggrin.gif There's a ton to be learned on the internet, from CakeCentral and from youtube videos and hundreds of tutorials. There seems to be more info about decorating with fondant than buttercream online but maybe it's just because that's what I've been looking for.

Patsl Posted 16 Aug 2009 , 8:25pm
post #4 of 7

thanks, I plan to go to Hobby Lobby after work tomorrow and may just get the couse 1 kit and booklet. I am looking so forward to trying to decorate cakes, cookies and such. I will let you know if I do any good!
Again, thanks for your comments.

mmdiez10 Posted 16 Aug 2009 , 8:51pm
post #5 of 7

The Wilton courses offered at the craft stores are a good starting place if you are lucky to get a good teacher. Youtube is the place to find alot of videos though. Sugarshack, Tonedna, etc. I took the Wilton courses, but had one good teacher and one bad one. The rest I learned on my own at home from the internet and DVDs. Good luck, this craft is so much fun.

xstitcher Posted 16 Aug 2009 , 8:58pm
post #6 of 7

Depending on the instructor the classes can be very beneficial, especially if you are a hands on visual learner.

I would suggest you go to Wilton's site and look for classes in your area. Michael's, AC Moore, Jo-Anne's are just a few other places that do them.

I know some people have a harder time learning without someone showing them so this may be a way to go but again it totally depends on the type of learner you are. You can learn so much between on-line tutorials/forums, books and dvd's that you may not need the classes.

Uniqueask Posted 16 Aug 2009 , 9:12pm
post #7 of 7

SugarShack also has great dvd's

Quote by @%username% on %date%