Fondant Disaster!

Decorating By jayberry Updated 18 Aug 2009 , 4:13am by sugarshack

jayberry Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
jayberry Posted 16 Aug 2009 , 3:14am
post #1 of 8

ok so i was asked to make this extravagant 4 tier wedding cake, i never have done this but i thought i could do it. everything was ok til i delivered it and stacked it. once i stacked it i noticed the fondant on the bottom tier started to crack then within 20 min it started to get this smushed look to it! why could this have happened? the tiers were 6,8,10 and 12. i put 9 plastic dowels in the bottom tier and some in the others that needed it. being such a perfectionist i am so disappointed.

7 replies
TOMAY Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
TOMAY Posted 16 Aug 2009 , 3:45am
post #2 of 8

did this happen to just the bottom? How many supports did you use ? sounds like two things cake was to heavy not enough supports . Possible to much BC under the fondant the weight may have squished it down cause that is the only way it could go

jayberry Posted 16 Aug 2009 , 3:59am
post #3 of 8

i used 9 plastic tube dowels. im thinking it was just too heavy as well. as for the butter cream i used a good amount not too much. how much should you use?

Toptier Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Toptier Posted 16 Aug 2009 , 4:09am
post #4 of 8

It could have been that your dowels were cut a hair too short and the tier above put too much pressure on the fondant? 9 dowels should have been plenty, I would have used 7. What type of buttercream did you use? It might have gotten too hot and started slumping under the fondant?

Can you post a picture?

jayberry Posted 16 Aug 2009 , 4:18am
post #5 of 8

i actually didnt get a pic because i forgot to put the battery in the camera! ugghh! i used a american buttercream with hi ratio shortening no butter. i probably did cut the dowels too short. should they be sticking out a bit?

BlakesCakes Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
BlakesCakes Posted 16 Aug 2009 , 8:02pm
post #6 of 8

I agree that you may have had some dowels that were a bit short, but I really feel that you had TOO MANY dowels in the cake.

My rule of thumb is one Wilton plastic dowel/tube for each 2 inches of the tier above, so you only needed 5 in the 12 inch, 4 in the 10 inch, and 3 in the 8 inch. When using the plastic dowels, you don't need near as many as when you use the wooden ones. A hollow tube is much stronger than a thin wooden spike.

Too many dowels degrade the integrity of the cake--it gets "swiss-cheesed" and instead of being stronger, it's actually made weaker.

HTH
Rae

jayberry Posted 16 Aug 2009 , 11:05pm
post #7 of 8

thanks everyone for your advice. i just talked to the bride and she said she barely noticed it. but the cake was a hit otherwise so i feel alot better. i realize i am my own worst critic and i notice everything thats wrong with my cakes. it wasn't completely samashed it was a section about 3" wide. now i have all these tips for next time!

sugarshack Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
sugarshack Posted 18 Aug 2009 , 4:13am
post #8 of 8

sounds like the dowels were too short.

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%