Dark Brown Buttercream Or Straight Up Chocolate??

Decorating By gimmesugar Updated 16 Aug 2009 , 9:49pm by PuffCake

gimmesugar Posted 16 Aug 2009 , 2:41am
post #1 of 5

I want to do some scrollwork in dark, dark brown but don't want to use melted chocolate. I pipe best in buttercream. Does anyone know how I can get dark, dark brown buttercream? Or has anyone used a chocolate recipe that's easy for piping? My hands shake a lot and buttercream is a lot more fluffier and easier to squeeze out of the bag.

Thanks!

4 replies
Rose_N_Crantz Posted 16 Aug 2009 , 3:38am
post #2 of 5

Have you tried chocolate buttercream? I would do that, and if it's still not dark enough, get some brown gel coloring and add some of that in there.

Kitagrl Posted 16 Aug 2009 , 4:07am
post #3 of 5

Actually adding very small amounts of black to a nice dark chocolate brown will help get a nice deep brown. And if it looks too much like "poo" (if it happens, you'll know it!) adding a drop of red or two will help get that rich dark chocolate color as well (after you make it dark brown and then add a bit of black.)

gimmesugar Posted 16 Aug 2009 , 9:10pm
post #4 of 5

I will dry adding some black and red, thank you so much!!!

PuffCake Posted 16 Aug 2009 , 9:49pm
post #5 of 5

I would suggest Wilton's ready made chocolate icing in the 1 pound containers. It's very dark brown and tastes very good. It's decorator icing so it pipes very well. It's sometimes a bit stiff right out of the can and needs just a touch of water for an easier piping consistency.

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%