Dark Brown Buttercream Or Straight Up Chocolate??

Decorating By gimmesugar Updated 16 Aug 2009 , 9:49pm by PuffCake

gimmesugar Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
gimmesugar Posted 16 Aug 2009 , 2:41am
post #1 of 5

I want to do some scrollwork in dark, dark brown but don't want to use melted chocolate. I pipe best in buttercream. Does anyone know how I can get dark, dark brown buttercream? Or has anyone used a chocolate recipe that's easy for piping? My hands shake a lot and buttercream is a lot more fluffier and easier to squeeze out of the bag.

Thanks!

4 replies
Rose_N_Crantz Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Rose_N_Crantz Posted 16 Aug 2009 , 3:38am
post #2 of 5

Have you tried chocolate buttercream? I would do that, and if it's still not dark enough, get some brown gel coloring and add some of that in there.

Kitagrl Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Kitagrl Posted 16 Aug 2009 , 4:07am
post #3 of 5

Actually adding very small amounts of black to a nice dark chocolate brown will help get a nice deep brown. And if it looks too much like "poo" (if it happens, you'll know it!) adding a drop of red or two will help get that rich dark chocolate color as well (after you make it dark brown and then add a bit of black.)

gimmesugar Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
gimmesugar Posted 16 Aug 2009 , 9:10pm
post #4 of 5

I will dry adding some black and red, thank you so much!!!

PuffCake Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
PuffCake Posted 16 Aug 2009 , 9:49pm
post #5 of 5

I would suggest Wilton's ready made chocolate icing in the 1 pound containers. It's very dark brown and tastes very good. It's decorator icing so it pipes very well. It's sometimes a bit stiff right out of the can and needs just a touch of water for an easier piping consistency.

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%