Several Legal Questions About Home Bakeries In Pa

Business By Horrorxgirl Updated 16 Aug 2009 , 5:22am by Horrorxgirl

Horrorxgirl Posted 16 Aug 2009 , 2:39am
post #1 of 3

Ok, so I've been selling cakes to people I know and business keeps getting bigger from word of mouth and now I want to legalize.
Pennsylvania is a state that allows you to have a home bakery from your kitchen. I read the requirements from the PA Dept of Agriculture and it seems like it won't be too hard to do, but I have a lot of extra questions about home businesses I hope someone can answer.

1. I rent my home. Can you legally have a home bakery from a rented home? I know that people rent commercial kitchens, but is it a different legally?

2. Is there any kind of limit on advertising? Or can you advertise just as much as any other commercial bakery?

3. Can you have a home business listed in the yellow pages? And if so, are there certain rules to follow? Like if my business line is a cellphone, are you able to list a cellphone number in the yellow pages for a business or does it have to be a landline?

4. I know that bakery items have to be kept separate from my own kitchen items, but what about refrigerated items? Is it ok for them to have their own shelf or do I need a diff fridge for them?

5. You can't sell items that contain meat and cheese or have certain moisture contents. For instance, cheesecake. But can you sell cakes with cream cheese icing since the sugar content is higher and the moisture content is lower so less chance of causing food poisoning?

I'm just trying to get an idea of what all I need to do to get this going. Thanks!

2 replies
Kitagrl Posted 16 Aug 2009 , 2:55am
post #2 of 3
Quote:
Originally Posted by Horrorxgirl

Ok, so I've been selling cakes to people I know and business keeps getting bigger from word of mouth and now I want to legalize.
Pennsylvania is a state that allows you to have a home bakery from your kitchen. I read the requirements from the PA Dept of Agriculture and it seems like it won't be too hard to do, but I have a lot of extra questions about home businesses I hope someone can answer.

1. I rent my home. Can you legally have a home bakery from a rented home? I know that people rent commercial kitchens, but is it a different legally?

You just have to get permission from the landlord. I'd have it in writing in case they decide to give you problems later. You also have to get permission from your Township Zoning office and etc.

2. Is there any kind of limit on advertising? Or can you advertise just as much as any other commercial bakery?

You are a regular business so yep you can advertise.

3. Can you have a home business listed in the yellow pages? And if so, are there certain rules to follow? Like if my business line is a cellphone, are you able to list a cellphone number in the yellow pages for a business or does it have to be a landline?

You are a legal business so you can advertise however you want. I assume you can list whatever phone number too.

4. I know that bakery items have to be kept separate from my own kitchen items, but what about refrigerated items? Is it ok for them to have their own shelf or do I need a diff fridge for them?

The Dept of Ag guy wasn't real strict on that for me...I do have extra fridges though. He didn't check my cupboards. But do the best you can anyway before he comes, you never know. I think for the fridge, its own shelf is ok, he will just check and make sure the temp is okay in there.

5. You can't sell items that contain meat and cheese or have certain moisture contents. For instance, cheesecake. But can you sell cakes with cream cheese icing since the sugar content is higher and the moisture content is lower so less chance of causing food poisoning?

Technically you can't sell anything that has to be refrigerated but the Dept of Ag guy kinda winks at the mild stuff like cream cheese icing and such like things.

I'm just trying to get an idea of what all I need to do to get this going. Thanks!

Hope this helps some! (Going on second year licensed here)

Horrorxgirl Posted 16 Aug 2009 , 5:22am
post #3 of 3

Thank you! That does help. I'm hoping that my landlords aren't too weird about it as they have been weird about other things in the past..not letting me paint the severe white walls a more warm neutral color. It wouldn't surprise me if they were the ones who make this impossible for me.

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%