Anyone Here Build An Outside Shed?

Business By buggus Updated 20 Aug 2009 , 7:01pm by SweetArt

buggus Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
buggus Posted 16 Aug 2009 , 2:27am
post #1 of 9

I've often thought it would be really great to have an outside shed in my backyard for solely baking/decorating cakes. It would consist of the fridges, stove, sink for washing, and counter space. Has anyone here done anything like this? And do you think it would be costly?

8 replies
Mencked Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Mencked Posted 18 Aug 2009 , 11:23am
post #2 of 9

I kind of did this. We remodeled a mobile office space into a commercial kitchen for my cake business. We live in very rural Oklahoma and the cake kitchen is just a few steps out my door across the driveway. You can see the remodel at this thread. http://www.cakecentral.com/cake-decorating-ftopict-644621.html
I have loved having this cake kitchen ... I get to keep all of my cake stuff in one space, it's far more convenient for my family in that they actually get a meal occasionally now that every surface isn't covered with cakes, and most of all, I'm fully licensed and legal!!

justme50 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
justme50 Posted 18 Aug 2009 , 12:00pm
post #3 of 9

I'm in Oklahoma too and did a similar build for my kitchen. I had an existing building attached to the garage. We re-did everything ceiling to floor and like you, took a full year to get it completed. I paid as I went so no debt hanging over my head.

I worried for weeks over the inspection, but again like yours, it was a breeze. The inspector wasn't there 5 minutes..never really checked anything. He had seen the building before we started the remodel and just said we had done a great job and off he went!

veronica720 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
veronica720 Posted 18 Aug 2009 , 9:10pm
post #4 of 9

I was going to do this also, but instead I am taking part of the garage from my husband. hehe

I was looking everywhere for buildings and prices, I saw some on places like craig's list and in the newspaper that were pretty cheap.
You should look in the paper and online to see what is out there, you never know what you might find.

Good luck

buggus Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
buggus Posted 20 Aug 2009 , 1:20am
post #5 of 9

Wow, thanks guys!

Diane! I am so inspired!! I LOVE your kitchen!!! That is totally what I want to have. We have alot of land on our property, and I think we will build something outside, as I want to be a few steps from the house. I can't believe how awesome your kitchen looks! Can I ask, was it expensive to get the equipment? I saw you got some deals on Craigslist, but was everything else pretty reasonable? And I can't believe how many cakes you had going at once!! Insane! Congrats!!

CakeForte Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
CakeForte Posted 20 Aug 2009 , 2:36am
post #6 of 9

The place that I rent from is set up like this. She's outside of the city limits and has more flexibility in what she was required to have.

Mencked Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Mencked Posted 20 Aug 2009 , 3:30am
post #7 of 9

Howdy justme50---always glad to meet another OKIE caker icon_smile.gif!!! I bet you're loving your kitchen too!!

Thanks Buggus! My biggest expenses were the electrician and plumbing/septic system. I was often impatient with how long everything took, but I was also able to pay as I went so it all worked out very nicely in the long run! I got nearly everything for the kitchen on Ebay or Craig's List at really reasonable prices. I did buy a couple of baker's racks and a rolling cart new from Sam's. The mobile office was already divided into an office area, bathroom, storage room (pantry) and main area (kitchen). We had to replace the tile (it was carpeted) and put up white wall behind the sinks and mixers. I just love having this place to bake and decorate!!

cylstrial Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
cylstrial Posted 20 Aug 2009 , 4:14pm
post #8 of 9
Quote:
Originally Posted by buggus

I've often thought it would be really great to have an outside shed in my backyard for solely baking/decorating cakes. It would consist of the fridges, stove, sink for washing, and counter space. Has anyone here done anything like this? And do you think it would be costly?

I would never have thought of that! But after looking at the pictures, it's a great idea!

SweetArt Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
SweetArt Posted 20 Aug 2009 , 7:01pm
post #9 of 9

Mine wasn't a shed, but I've listed my costs of converting my detached garage here along with pictures: http://www.cakecentral.com/cake-decorating-ftopic-635472-15.html

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%