Satin Ice Problems

Business By Confections_with_a_K Updated 17 Aug 2009 , 4:53am by madgeowens

Confections_with_a_K Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Confections_with_a_K Posted 16 Aug 2009 , 1:53am
post #1 of 13

Has anyone else ever tried to use Satin Ice to make bows or similar structures? We have had hell using it for bows, they crack and crumble and we just ruined a wedding cake trying to use it. Wilton fondant always works perfectly. Any ideas anyone?

12 replies
indydebi Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
indydebi Posted 16 Aug 2009 , 2:04am
post #2 of 13

I use Satin Ice and Chocopan fondant and I always use Satin Ice for bows because it dries faster than Chocopan. But I haven't run into any problems with it.

Deb_ Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Deb_ Posted 16 Aug 2009 , 2:12am
post #3 of 13

Just used some today to make bows and they were OK. I do add a touch of tylose to the Satin Ice.

Wendl Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Wendl Posted 16 Aug 2009 , 2:17am
post #4 of 13

Do you roll it out w/shortening (I use organic shortening)? Or do you roll it out w/cornstarch? I usually LOVE using Satin Ice, the flavor is wonderful (Wilton makes me gag, no matter the useability and I found it to dry quickly).

The bellydance school cake I made (most recent pic in my gallery), I used cornstarch 'cause I was already using it on the smaller bits. I didn't think there'd be a problem. Little did I know that it would make the Satin Ice dry out sooooo much faster. I only had to drive the cake 3 miles, but every little bounce, it cracked all to heck. icon_sad.gif My other cakes had always had more resiliency and I do believe it's because I usually roll out the big stuff with the shortening - which leaves it more 'forgiving'. Luckily I had more fondant to match, so I patched it to look like the veil had ripples/movement a little. It was freaking me out at first until I thought of the medium for rolling it out.

(And I'm in Houston - too much humidity is usually a problem, but it was not an issue w/the cornstarch...now I know how better to proceed.)

Good Luck!!!
Wendy

xstitcher Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
xstitcher Posted 16 Aug 2009 , 7:46am
post #5 of 13
Quote:
Originally Posted by Wendl

Do you roll it out w/shortening (I use organic shortening)? Or do you roll it out w/cornstarch? I usually LOVE using , the flavor is wonderful (Wilton makes me gag, no matter the useability and I found it to dry quickly).

The bellydance school cake I made (most recent pic in my gallery), I used cornstarch 'cause I was already using it on the smaller bits. I didn't think there'd be a problem. Little did I know that it would make the dry out sooooo much faster. I only had to drive the cake 3 miles, but every little bounce, it cracked all to heck. icon_sad.gif My other cakes had always had more resiliency and I do believe it's because I usually roll out the big stuff with the shortening - which leaves it more 'forgiving'. Luckily I had more fondant to match, so I patched it to look like the veil had ripples/movement a little. It was freaking me out at first until I thought of the medium for rolling it out.

(And I'm in Houston - too much humidity is usually a problem, but it was not an issue w/the cornstarch...now I know how better to proceed.)

Good Luck!!!
Wendy

I'm assuming the beautiful roads they have here probably had something to do with it too....

Wendl Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Wendl Posted 16 Aug 2009 , 9:56pm
post #6 of 13
Quote:
Originally Posted by xstitcher

I'm assuming the beautiful roads they have here probably had something to do with it too....

(GIGGLE) Yeah, that's right - but even still, I've traveled farther over more bumpy roads w/a cake covered in the shortening-rolled-out Satin Ice and no cracks, maybe a wee bit of sag.
But, now I know - if I want something to dry uber-fast - use corn starch, but for covering - stick (so to speak) to the shortening. icon_smile.gif
Cheers,
Wendy

MaryKakes Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
MaryKakes Posted 16 Aug 2009 , 10:18pm
post #7 of 13

I find Satin Ice a little tough to use because it has a tendency to tear. It's a bit floppy. If rolled too thick, it will sag. Just right, and you've got a beautiful finish. I add a little gum paste to give the Satin Ice a little body and it will dry a little quicker. It works great. You will need to adjust for humidity....and it's nasty in Syracuse right now. Using corn starch will help that.

Price Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Price Posted 16 Aug 2009 , 10:37pm
post #8 of 13

I normally make the pom pom bows. I haven't had any problems at all. Sometimes I use straight Satin Ice other times I Use Satin Ice with a little Tylose powder kneaded in. I hang the loops over a piece of pvc pipe to dry for about a day, then assemble the bow. No cracking or breaking problems. The last bow I made is red and white stripes, so I alternated stripes of red and white and gently rolled them together. No problem there either.

Edited to add: I have even made a bow using the dark choc. Satin Ice (which tends to be softer) and the loops dried with no problem.

How humid is it in your area?

Confections_with_a_K Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Confections_with_a_K Posted 17 Aug 2009 , 12:36am
post #9 of 13

Price, this is Louisiana in August, you can swim through the moisture in the air!

madgeowens Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
madgeowens Posted 17 Aug 2009 , 12:49am
post #10 of 13

I used satin ice on my leather jacket I made, and the next day the collar was completely cracked and I had to quickly make a replacement for it. I was not happy with it.....I need to figure out how to make black mmf.

xstitcher Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
xstitcher Posted 17 Aug 2009 , 1:23am
post #11 of 13

If you want to make your own I would suggest you start with a chocolate fondant (the darker the better) by replacing some of the powdered sugar with cocoa powder and then add the black, having said that though I still think it would be easier just to buy it.

Price Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Price Posted 17 Aug 2009 , 2:07am
post #12 of 13

Confections_with_a_K --- The humidity is probably a big part of your problem. We have humidity too, but nothing like you have in the south.

madgeowens Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
madgeowens Posted 17 Aug 2009 , 4:53am
post #13 of 13

xstitcher....... thanks I am going to try that real soon....thanks for the tip

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%