Pricing Help!

Business By rx_grl Updated 16 Aug 2009 , 2:11am by indydebi

rx_grl Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
rx_grl Posted 15 Aug 2009 , 11:58pm
post #1 of 5

First let me say how talented all of you are, thanks for sharing your pictures and your knowledge! My boss has hired me to to 150 cupcakes and a cake for our store's one year anniversary. I did some previously for him and created the company logo out of chocolate to put on the cupcakes. So pricing wise I charged 2.25/cupcake and I wasn't sure about the cake, so I just rounded up to $375. Is this totally off base? I wasn't sure and I got the impression he was a little surprised - I don't know what to do! Any opinions on the matter would be greatly appreciated - thanks!

4 replies
costumeczar Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
costumeczar Posted 16 Aug 2009 , 1:13am
post #2 of 5

You're too low, if anything...He's just surprised because people don't think in terms of "real money" when they think of cupcakes. That's a lot of cupcakes, though, and it will take a long time to do them, so you're not off base.

You should tell him that if he wants to go ask at other bakeries for price comparisons he's welcome to do it, and get back to you. He'll come back unless decides to do less decoration on the cupcakes and goes for the Costco brand. If he does that it was a cost issue, but don't drop your price to try to match it. Unless, of course, you want to match the quality and the same type of decorations that Costco does, which won't be anywhere near what you'll be making.

rx_grl Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
rx_grl Posted 16 Aug 2009 , 1:31am
post #3 of 5

Thanks, I was starting to think I was going crazy icon_smile.gif

LaBellaFlor Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
LaBellaFlor Posted 16 Aug 2009 , 2:03am
post #4 of 5

At $3 (which is the average price I see for cupcakes) I get $450 just for the cupcakes!

indydebi Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
indydebi Posted 16 Aug 2009 , 2:11am
post #5 of 5

If I figured it right, you charged $37.50 for the cake. Without knowing the cake size, it's hard to know if that's in the range or not.

Regardless, I find it helps soften it when you break it down. "At $2.25 per cupcake, that comes to $337.50 for 150 cupcakes, plus $37.50 for the cake ....."

I have a section in my Wedding Workshop about this very thing:

When a person is taking 6 people out to dinner at $10 each, it's very easy for them to figure it will cost them $60 for dinner.

But when they are taking 100 people out to dinner at $10 each, the only thing they say when you hand them the bill is ......

"A THOUSAND DOLLARS!!!!!!!!!!?????????????"

They go math-dumb.

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%