A Few Questions About Italian Wedding Cake And Cornelli Lace

Decorating By calebsmom45 Updated 16 Aug 2009 , 11:53pm by Angfastic

calebsmom45 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
calebsmom45 Posted 15 Aug 2009 , 11:40pm
post #1 of 9

I have been asked to make a cake for a friend that uses an Italian wedding cake recipe. i ususally make my cakes using the wasc recipe and don't bake from scratch. Does anyone know a recipe I could try out? Also she wants cornelli lace. If I am covering the cake in fondant, would I use royal icing to do that? I found a couple of articles on how to do it, just not sure about it yet. Thanks! Brandy

8 replies
stephaniescakenj Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
stephaniescakenj Posted 16 Aug 2009 , 12:09am
post #2 of 9

Do you mean Italian cream cake possibly? you can pipe the cornelli lace in buttercream or royal icing.

calebsmom45 Posted 16 Aug 2009 , 12:11am
post #3 of 9

She called it Italian wedding cake, but creme might be right? I can only find recipes with nuts and coconut and stuff. I just don't want to make it from scratch. Thanks

Angfastic Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Angfastic Posted 16 Aug 2009 , 12:23am
post #4 of 9

Italian cream has coconut and pecans. There is a recipe that is bascially the WASC, but you use coconut supreme cake mix instead of white. It is the only italian cream cake I've had and it I think it is awesome. I made it for my birthday and everyone loved it. I add sour cream even though the recipe doesn't call for it. I also make a non crusting cream cheese icing that is not too sweet. 8 oz of cream cheese, stick of butter and 2 - 3 cups of powder sugar.

http://cakecentral.com/cake_recipe-7372-0-AMAZING-Italian-Cream-Cake.html

stephaniescakenj Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
stephaniescakenj Posted 16 Aug 2009 , 12:28am
post #5 of 9

yes that's italian cream... it's fantastic. If you need the recipe, let me know.

indydebi Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
indydebi Posted 16 Aug 2009 , 12:34am
post #6 of 9

How many tiers are you going to do the lace on? If it's more than one, be sure to thin the icing and take the Aleve (uh, TWO!) BEFORE you start.

Ah, I remember the days when I could fly thru a lace cake! Now I refer to them as the Hand-Cramp-Cakes!!!! icon_lol.gif

calebsmom45 Posted 16 Aug 2009 , 8:24pm
post #7 of 9

Thanks so much, that sounds like what she wants. Ang, did you just add 8 oz. of sour cream to the recipe? Also, i have never done cornelli lace, so thanks for the tip about thinning it out! She wants 2 tiers. I plan to practice alot ahead of time so I may need a bottle of Aleve from what I hear. Thank you so much! Brandy

kakeladi Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
kakeladi Posted 16 Aug 2009 , 8:44pm
post #8 of 9

Once you have made your royal icing add about a teaspoon of piping gel OR Karo syrup to about 1/2 cup of it and mix well; take a knee high (clean!) and put it on your hand like a glove. Fill your palm with the thinned icing then peel the stocking off (turning it inside out as y ou do); now push the icing thru (strain it). This will keep it from clogging the tip. For cornelli one should use tip 1 (tip 2 if you *have* to). that one handfull should be more than enough to cover you cake.

Angfastic Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Angfastic Posted 16 Aug 2009 , 11:53pm
post #9 of 9

Sorry I can't remember if I used 8 oz or not. I think I did since I had 16oz and used almost half.

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%