Need Help On Support Structure Or Anchoring To Board?

Decorating By FH_Cakes Updated 5 Sep 2009 , 6:03pm by Steve-AngelCityCakes

FH_Cakes Posted 15 Aug 2009 , 9:24pm
post #1 of 7

I am doing this cake in 3 weeks but I can't figure out how to anchor the antlers to the board? I have the cake and antlers all figured out, I am just worried that the antlers are going to come crashing down if I don't have them structered to the board. I have never done anything like this so I have NO idea where to begin...Thanks for any help!
LL

6 replies
-K8memphis Posted 15 Aug 2009 , 9:35pm
post #2 of 7

Is that the same angle that the cake will be eventually?
Is it going to change and look like it's hanging on the wall or look like that at a half angle?
Or laying flat down?

And what will the antlers be made out of?

How much cake you making?

Doug Posted 15 Aug 2009 , 9:39pm
post #3 of 7

look for these (or make your own)

z-brackets

http://www.lspinc.com/images/SSZBraR_8.08.jpg

1 per antler

screw to board,

attach antlers.

cover in cake or RKT

FH_Cakes Posted 16 Aug 2009 , 5:17am
post #4 of 7
Quote:
Originally Posted by K8memphis-

Is that the same angle that the cake will be eventually?
Is it going to change and look like it's hanging on the wall or look like that at a half angle?
Or laying flat down?

And what will the antlers be made out of?

How much cake you making?

Yes, this is the same angle I want the cake to sit. The antlers will be made of Wire Hanger covered in gumpaste/fondant mix. I planned on making (2) 1/4 sheets for the mount and (3) 9" for the base of the deer. Then the deer's nose/mouth will be RKT. I'm worried that the antlers will not hold up in just RKT/Cake. Any ideas?

Steve-AngelCityCakes Posted 16 Aug 2009 , 6:43am
post #5 of 7

I'm not too sure that hangar wire will hold fondant at that angle. I think the weight of the fondant will droop the wire around mid antler. I was thinking you could use 1/2 inch or smaller PVC pipes with a threaded flange for each antler anchored to the backboard. Then a piece of straight pipe screwed into the flange, then an elbow where the antler meets the head, you can probably find PVC curved pipes to made the shape of the antler and then cover them in fondant. Just a thought.

FH_Cakes Posted 5 Sep 2009 , 1:34pm
post #6 of 7

Here's my cake!
LL

Steve-AngelCityCakes Posted 5 Sep 2009 , 6:03pm
post #7 of 7

Great Job! You really pulled it off!!

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%