Transporting Ice Cream Filled Cake...need Help!

Decorating By G_Cakes Updated 17 Aug 2009 , 2:18am by Steve-AngelCityCakes

G_Cakes Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
G_Cakes Posted 15 Aug 2009 , 8:55pm
post #1 of 10

Hello CC's

I Have a baby shower I am attending and making the cake for tomorrow.

The cake is a belly cake with chocolate fudge cake and the center of the belly is filled with Ice Cream.

The shower is 84 miles away or about an hour and a half for driving time.

Right now the cake is in the freezer and I am worried that it may melt before i get to the shower.

I plan on using a big roasting pan filled with bags of ice and laying the cake on top for transport.

Unfortunately I don't have a cooler big enough to hold the cake and my ac in the car does work but it's on its way out.

I even tried looking for places where I can buy some dry ice but the closet place to get any is over 3 hours away!!! ARRGH!

Just wondering if anyone out there has any tips or suggestions on how to get it to the shower before it melts.

Thanks for reading and any help you may offer.

Miss Lizzy

9 replies
G_Cakes Posted 15 Aug 2009 , 9:56pm
post #2 of 10

Anyone?

missymayflower Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
missymayflower Posted 15 Aug 2009 , 10:17pm
post #3 of 10

Don't use ice. If you can't get dry ice, which you should be able to get at a major grocery store or walmart, then use gel ice packs. Since you don't have a large cooler, try to find a styrofoam one that is big enough. Or get two styrofoam coolers and tape them together with duct tape. Good luck.

Steve-AngelCityCakes Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Steve-AngelCityCakes Posted 16 Aug 2009 , 6:57am
post #4 of 10

Dry Ice is probably the only way to make sure you ice cream doesn't melt. Here is a link to dry ice suppliers in the U.S., just put in your area code and it will give you their addresses and phone numbers. When I was young I drove an Ice Cream truck for a summer job and Dry Ice is what we used to keep the ice cream frozen. Here is the link, good luck
http://www.dryicedirectory.com/usa.htm

soygurl Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
soygurl Posted 16 Aug 2009 , 8:22am
post #5 of 10

This might be too late, but see if you can find a heavy cardboard box (or styrofoam like missymayflower suggested) that's large enough to fit the cake (in the transport pan+ice packs) with some room to spare (height wise), but not TOO much room. Then take more ice packs, wrap them in paper towels to absorb condensation, put them in plastic bags, and use wire to attach them to the top corners of the box. I read about this here on CC, but can't for the life of me remember who posted it. In any case, having ice packs, IN the box, and especially the TOP of the box *might* be enough for the cake to survive the trip... but I wouldn't count on it.

Use AC of course, and try to insulate the cake as much as possible, with lots of ice packs (you don't want a bunch of free standing water splashing on your cake!) inside the box with the cake for a make-shift cooler. Remember, the bigger the chunk of ice, the slower it melts, the longer it stays cold)
Good luck! thumbs_up.gif

G_Cakes Posted 16 Aug 2009 , 1:32pm
post #6 of 10

Thank you all for the advice, I have 2 hours before I leave to try and locate dry ice or ice packs icon_smile.gif you guys are the best icon_smile.gif

Wish me luck!

soygurl Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
soygurl Posted 16 Aug 2009 , 5:39pm
post #7 of 10

Nevermind... I see it's too late. Hope everything went well and the cake made it! icon_biggrin.gif

G_Cakes Posted 17 Aug 2009 , 1:46am
post #8 of 10

Just got back in from the shower and the cake made it through!!!

I will post picks as soon as I can upload them icon_smile.gif

bravoe06 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
bravoe06 Posted 17 Aug 2009 , 1:50am
post #9 of 10

next time try getting ice packs from your local fish market they are gel packs taht freeze and are meant for fish that have to travel far and won't thaw out they are free but you might want to ask next time!

Steve-AngelCityCakes Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Steve-AngelCityCakes Posted 17 Aug 2009 , 2:18am
post #10 of 10

I can't believe you did it, congratulations!!! What did you end up doing???

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%