Help With Fondant

Decorating By tab26852 Updated 15 Aug 2009 , 9:13pm by Liz23

tab26852 Posted 15 Aug 2009 , 7:41pm
post #1 of 3

anyone who is self taught working with fondant can you recomend any books that helped you or tell me how you got started

2 replies
grandmom Posted 15 Aug 2009 , 8:55pm
post #2 of 3

Don't remember what I read all those years ago, but it really is so dang easy. Wilton has lots of information, in books and on their website. Just today from some post on this website, I visited the Satin Ice website and saw lots of videos. There are videos all over Youtube and elsewhere on the internet. Recently I read the Planet Cake book, and it would be good for beginners.

Be not afraid!! It really is much easier than smoothing buttercream, in my opinion!!

Purchase or make fondant
knead fondant until elastic and smooth
roll out fondant
place on cake
smooth
trim
decorate

... little more to it than that, and some details are omitted, but it really is just so easy!! Or at least it was for me. I often wondered if it came so easy to me because I have a lot of experience with bread dough, biscuit dough, pie crust, all things dough/baking in general?

When I tackled mounting kitchen cabinets, something I truly feared and thought would be so difficult, I made an outline of the major steps I'd learned would be required (by surfing the internet). Then I added detailed steps under each major item, then ordered them appropriately. You know what? Hanging those cabinets was so easy (they were just heavy, that's all) because I thought about it, broke it down into steps, commited it in writing, grabbed my outline and tools, then began.

Liz23 Posted 15 Aug 2009 , 9:13pm
post #3 of 3

I have to second what grandmom said. Just buy a box of the Wilton fondant to begin with and give it a whirl. After my first time using fondant I was hooked!! After your comfortable with the Wilton fondant you'll probably want to start making your own. (So much cheaper and tastes great compared to the Wilton.) Lots of great fondant recipes here on CC. Just take a deep breath and go for it!

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%