Making Fall Leaves?

Decorating By kel58 Updated 18 Aug 2009 , 12:03pm by leah_s

kel58 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
kel58 Posted 15 Aug 2009 , 7:22pm
post #1 of 8

Hey everyone. Im asking this way early but I will be having a wedding cake coming up in oct and it had been requested that i have fall leaves on it. I was wondering if anyone could give me some advice on getting a nice colouring for the leaves and how to make them look more real. My husband and I got married in the fall and we unfortunatly have very poorly make leaves on our cake and i dont want to do that to some else.
Thanks for any tips and tricks.
Kelly icon_biggrin.gif

7 replies
kaseynh Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
kaseynh Posted 15 Aug 2009 , 7:48pm
post #2 of 8

I made some last fall for a wedding cake. I airbrushed them and was happy with the results.

http://www.cakecentral.com/modules.php?name=gallery&file=displayimage&pid=1262003

cashley Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
cashley Posted 15 Aug 2009 , 7:49pm
post #3 of 8

I took different colors of fondant and mixed them slightly and cut them out then veined them. If you get leaves off the trees now and encase them in clear sticky vinyl then you can use these to do the veining. I have done this 2 years ago and they still are okay.

iownajane Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
iownajane Posted 15 Aug 2009 , 11:21pm
post #4 of 8

I did some using melted chocolate/candy melts on the back of well washed and dried maple leaves...peel off the leaves when set..they're non toxic...
http://www.cakecentral.com/cake-photo_1275419.html

renee2007 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
renee2007 Posted 15 Aug 2009 , 11:34pm
post #5 of 8

Hi, I also did the leaves with melted chocolate and then brushed them with food colors and super pearl dusts. I have two cakes done like this in my pics if you want to look at them. hth

kel58 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
kel58 Posted 18 Aug 2009 , 11:18am
post #6 of 8

All of your leaves too great. I think ill start early and make sure i get it right. They can be stored for a while right? I dont have the tools to airbrush so I think ill try the candy melts. I want some pretty small leaves, do you think i could put the melts onto a fake leaf? Maybe if i cover it with something?

iownajane Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
iownajane Posted 18 Aug 2009 , 11:59am
post #7 of 8

You can just go out and "pick" some leaves(Must be some in Stratford LOL icon_biggrin.gif ) ...soak in soapy water,rinse well,and the dry completely.Paint the melts on the back of the leaf..so that the part that is "up" towards you,is the "back " of the finished product,and the veins from the back of the real leaf make the vein lines on the "good side" of your candy melt leaf...it took me a few to get them not to break..blend your colours as well as possible, (my backsides looked really messy),and chill them a little...the thing I had most the problem with was peeling the leaves off after...try not to wrap you chocolate "around the edges...harder to get off afterwards...make extras!
HTH...if I can help,send a pm!
Jane

leah_s Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
leah_s Posted 18 Aug 2009 , 12:03pm
post #8 of 8

I just print them on wafer paper.

Pick real leaves. Scan them, and send the image to the edible ink printer. Cut them out. Then I spred on the *thinest* bit of gel to keep them flexible.

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%