Help Please! Condensation Issues!!

Decorating By Tellis12 Updated 15 Aug 2009 , 8:31pm by Tellis12

Tellis12 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Tellis12 Posted 15 Aug 2009 , 4:55pm
post #1 of 8

I froze a wedding cake (3 tiers) fully iced and decorated. We did this all the time at a bakery I worked at. However, even though I took it out 5 hours ago, its still covered in condensation. The wedding is at 6, I deliver at 4. Is the cake going to be ok? What can I do to dry the condensation? Thanks so much!!

7 replies
Kiddiekakes Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Kiddiekakes Posted 15 Aug 2009 , 5:09pm
post #2 of 8

Put a fan in front of it to help circulate the air...

Tellis12 Posted 15 Aug 2009 , 5:27pm
post #3 of 8

Thanks, that's what we were thinking might work best. My mom ran to get a new one that's clean. Any other suggestions or can I just not freeze these things if they're too big to put in a box?

Kiddiekakes Posted 15 Aug 2009 , 5:39pm
post #4 of 8

Well..I wouldn't freeze an entire cake unless I absolutely had too..that being said....Large walk in coolers/freezers that are made for commercial use work a little differently than say your home freezer.They are designed to control humidty and just enough cold air etc..I would also be worried that the cake wouldn't be entirely thawed when the couple went to cut it which was brought up in another thread...Unless the cake is travelling for several hours etc...and not overly huge like 3-4 large tiers.a small tiered would be fine.I'm sure it will be just fine!

Tellis12 Posted 15 Aug 2009 , 6:14pm
post #5 of 8

the condensation looks like its liquid sugar. Will it dry? This is quickly becoming a huge huge disaster!

Kiddiekakes Posted 15 Aug 2009 , 6:22pm
post #6 of 8

Is it fondant covered or Buttercream? I have literally taken Q-tips and sucked up the droplets once by one...but if it is fondant it may water stain.

Toptier Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Toptier Posted 15 Aug 2009 , 7:17pm
post #7 of 8

Ack, you gotta bring it to room temp gradually. It really should be put in the fridge first, not straight out into room temp. It should go in the fridge for a few hours at least, then be brought out to an air-conditioned space for a few hours, in front of a fax. You're shocking it right now by bringing it straight to room temp from the freezer.

Tellis12 Posted 15 Aug 2009 , 8:31pm
post #8 of 8

Ah, well, I've lived and learned now. Thank you ladies for your input. Turns out that the sugar caramelized and created a syrup. I ended up just resmoothing the icing. I wasn't happy but I delivered it a few minutes ago and I think it'll be fine. I'll post a photo later, once I get home. thank you so much!

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%