Mmf In Fridge In Humid Area?

Decorating By Texas_Rose Updated 17 Aug 2009 , 3:13pm by Texas_Rose

Texas_Rose Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Texas_Rose Posted 15 Aug 2009 , 4:26pm
post #1 of 4

Am I setting myself up for disaster? I tried a new cake recipe and when it was done, I could tell it was going to have to go in the fridge because of the cream cheese swirl in it. I'm making a 2 tiered cake with MMF. I've got some figures and some leaves that are supposed to go on it. Do you think it will survive being kept in the fridge overnight? Or should I wait and decorate it right before the party?

I've done plenty of cakes with MMF but I've always stuck with stuff that didn't need to be refrigerated, until now.

3 replies
beachcakes Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
beachcakes Posted 15 Aug 2009 , 6:30pm
post #2 of 4

I think you'll have to fridge it b/c of the cream cheese. I am one that alwys has MMF & humidity issues... I'd wait to decorate if you can b/c when it sweats, the colors bleed also.

Texas_Rose Posted 15 Aug 2009 , 8:37pm
post #3 of 4

That's what I'm afraid of, ending up with a soggy mess.

At least it's an under the sea cake, so if it looks wet I can just tell the relatives it's part of the theme icon_biggrin.gificon_biggrin.gificon_biggrin.gif

I made a mini cake to go on the top, covered it in MMF and chilled it, then took it out and it didn't sweat, so there's hope. The colors didn't bleed either...I've got white skulls and crossbones on a tiny purple tier (I have such a weird 4 year old) and they stayed white.

I only experiment with recipes when it's a family cake and I'm starting to be glad for that.

Texas_Rose Posted 17 Aug 2009 , 3:13pm
post #4 of 4

Well, now I know. In case anyone else needs to know, it worked perfectly. Even the leaves that I had made a couple of days before didn't soften in the fridge. The cake didn't sweat at all. I did have the AC on (of course) at about 75 degrees.

Here's the cake, after it had been in the fridge overnight and then taken out for the party: http://cakecentral.com/modules.php?name=gallery&file=displayimage&pid=1438493

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%